Female Betta About to Lay Eggs? Don't Want the Male to Kill Her!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Twoapennything

Aquarium Advice Freak
I think my female betta is about to lay eggs. She's very fat and because she's light colored I can tell that her belly is full of something, I'm assuming eggs. She's in the community tank with a male betta. I've heard that male bettas will kill the female after she lays eggs -- is this true? I don't think that the male could successfully build a bubble nest because of the flow of the filter and it just being such a small area in general. The two bettas get along just fine as it is right now.

I have a ten gallon tank that I'm currently growing about 20 mystery snails in. Should I put the female betta into the snail tank until she's done with her eggs? Will the snails eat the eggs? I don't particularly want baby bettas, so if the snails will eat the eggs, that's fine by me.

I think my female betta is about to lay eggs. She's very fat and because she's light colored I can tell that her belly is full of something, I'm assuming eggs. She's in the community tank with a male betta. I've heard that male bettas will kill the female after she lays eggs -- is this true? I don't think that the male could successfully build a bubble nest because of the flow of the filter and it just being such a small area in general. The two bettas get along just fine as it is right now.
If you are unsure, move the male to a container before anything could happen. Keep them appart for a while.

I have a ten gallon tank that I'm currently growing about 20 mystery snails in. Should I put the female betta into the snail tank until she's done with her eggs? Will the snails eat the eggs? I don't particularly want baby bettas, so if the snails will eat the eggs, that's fine by me.
Snails don't typically eat eggs. Good luck with whatever happens!

If you are unsure, move the male to a container before anything could happen. Keep them appart for a while.

Snails don't typically eat eggs. Good luck with whatever happens!

Oh, she should lay the eggs in the community, put the male in a container, then let the female take care of the eggs for a while. Maybe add the male to the snails' aquarium? Do you think he will be aggressive to them? May as well take a chance, if he is aggressive to the snails, the snails should go in their shells, but to be safe, keep a container handy to put him in! HTH

The male takes care of the eggs. Once the female has released the eggs, he spits them into the bubble nest and cares for them until they hatch.

The way to tell when a betta female is ready to mate is by looking at the under side of her belly. You will see a white egg sticking out slightly from the under side of her body. Both sides of her belly will also be full and you can see the eggs pearling out (similar to guppy females).

The way to tell when a betta female is ready to mate is by looking at the under side of her belly. You will see a white egg sticking out slightly from the under side of her body. Both sides of her belly will also be full and you can see the eggs pearling out (similar to guppy females).

That's exactly what she looks like. Do you think I should move her to the snail tank, or should I move the male to the snail tank? From what I've read it's not safe to leave them together.

That's exactly what she looks like. Do you think I should move her to the snail tank, or should I move the male to the snail tank? From what I've read it's not safe to leave them together.
I would say that you should leave her there; move the male to the snail tank till the lays. THEN: move her to the snail tank; Male to the eggs.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom