Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-14-2011, 10:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Female Betta and Male Guppies?

This may be a stupid question, but I can't find a straight answer online.

Could I successfully keep a female Betta in my twenty nine gallon community with six male guppies? I have experience and a lot of knowledge with male bettas, but almost no knowledge of things specific to female bettas. I know that males can't be kept with guppies, but I do know that females are much less aggressive than males.

Any help would be awesome. It wouldn't be until a couple weeks from now that I would get the Betta even. If you want more info on my tank, look up the thread,"My New Tank". Thanks in advance.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've had this work and not work. I have no experience mixing males in communities, although I hear they even work with guppies sometimes. I have put females in many different settings though and have found you simply never know what you can expect. I've had them seem ferocious and aggresive in their cup and then once released into the tank be cool as a cucumber. I've also had them seem totally relaxed and then get into the tank and go crazy. I've had females that did great with any livebearer and females that couldn't handle any livebearer. I think that just like with the males, the only way to try a betta in any community setting is to have a back up plan. Whether it's an alternate tank or return to the store.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Alright. Thanks.

Any other opinions?
Old 04-14-2011, 11:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have 6 female bettas in with 3 male guppies. Never once had an issue, my guppies were in first so I think that may have helped some.

Oh and I've heard that CT females are far more spunky, so you may want to avoid them to be cautious. I have one and she jumps out of the water to nab my finger, but leaves the guppies alone. But again, I have been warned they are feistier.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay. So, you think it'd be safe to try, with a backup plan? Cause I don't really have a centerpiece fish.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I don't think you'd have any issues, just because the males are in there already and have their territory staked. I would make it the last added fish, so that all new ones aren't a threat. But mine are in with the fancy males, and long finned tetras with no fin nips.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay. Yeah, I'm adding everything else before I get the female betta.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've heard that about the CT's too but in my betta sorority only two out of six are VT's and one of them is the alpha and, the most recent female I had to remove from 2 different communities I tried her in was VT as well so, I think it really just comes down to luck I'm not sure what other tankmates are in there but she is just as likely to have issues with mollies as she is guppies, if not more so.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:06 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to sudz
I had a male betta with guppies for 9 months without incident... and then one day, 4 dead guppies. Had to remove him. The guppies are generally faster over long hauls. He probably figured out how to "trap" them.
Baby Sitting: 10 Gal Tank with single Convict
sudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:11 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

A male Betta with guppies is a big nono, as you found out the hard way.

Tags
betta, female, female betta, guppie, guppies, male

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com