Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-07-2018, 03:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Female Betta tank

Yesterday I bought a male crowntail betta for my 5 gallon tank. I noticed that the shop had some female Bettas too, they all had stress stripes and torn fins. I want to buy them but I don't know where should I keep them... Can I keep them in my 20 gallon aquarium along with my 6 red eye tetras?

Old 06-07-2018, 03:34 AM   #2

( All those 8-9 female Bettas were in a 5 gallon tank along with Apple snails btw... )

Old 06-07-2018, 07:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

If it's got a lot of cover (plants) and if the girls get alone with each other. But I wouldn't get all of them. Maybe 4-or 5. Younger betta's. No older ones. They are harder to make it work out right. Tank needs to have lots of cover. I got 7 in a 55g. For now till my plants grow more. If that helps you. But, as long as the girls get along and don't fight or flare, it will work. I have plants floating pretty thick on top. They like that. Make sure they will work together what ever ones you deside to get. Float them in your tank over night next to each other and next day release all at once the best you can. Make sure there's no flaring before releasing. Keep any flaring ones in a cup floating for an extra day while others are out swimming in tank. If fighting or flaring starts in the tank after release. Scoop the ones that are doing it and float an extra day. It's a little tricky to make work. But it works if done right. If all the girls are younger and your tank is thick with plants you can try all of them. But, 20g might be too small for the room they all need. Also, Flow from filter should be somewhat low. You'll love having them together.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:32 AM   #4

Thank you! They are like 1 inch big. Are my red eye tetras any threat to them?
Old 06-07-2018, 08:08 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

They might, but it's hard to say. Some fish nip, some don't. It really don't matter what people say on what fish can go together. Imo. I have an angel fish in my female betta's 55g tank if that tells ya anything. My angel don't bother them at all. It gets a little crazy at feeding time lol. But other than that. There's no nippy, chasing, or killing in my tank and everyone has been in there for a months now. I have a 75g angel fish tank and had neon tetras in there and everything was fine too. Neons had neon tetra disease, so had to get rid of them. Anyways. It's all up to you, if you wanta try it, go for it. Just make sure you can take fish back if things don't work. It just all depends on the fish.

Tags
betta, female, female betta, male, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com