Female betta with live-bearers? Experiences?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allysonwonderland

Aquarium Advice Regular
Has anyone ever housed a female betta with a tank of assorted live-bearers? I don't even have a tank set up yet, I'm just planning ahead for colors and such. I know this combo has the potential to work out alright, it just depends on the fish. Does anyone here have any experiences? Is there any way to tell the personality of a betta at the store?

Hi...

I have relatively limited experience with this. I have a betta sorority of 5 with some platies. We've been relatively lucky but are still watching. What I can tell you is that we had one of our bettas kill several live bearers BUT those fish she killed were showing signs of potential weakness/illness beforehand. There has been no other aggression toward any of the live bearers thus far and the betta on betta aggression seems to have worked itself out now. We have had this set-up for nearly a month so are still watching.

Sometimes you will find stores have some in community tanks so you could observe their behaviour there, but also understanding that tanks at the LFS are more like revolving doors and not really an ideal enviro so the fish may not be showing their true colours. But still worth a look. Otherwise, it's quite difficult to tell until you give it a go. This is not scientific in anyway but my experience has been that red ones are more aggressive. We have two reds and they really are the aggressors. It was a red that killed our weak mollies. Again, that is just my experience and someone may very well have the exact opposite. I have nothing more than my experience to back me up. It all comes down to environment, really. Have lots of places for them all to hide out and enjoy some down time.

Back
Top Bottom