Female GBR chasing new male?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Samzter

Aquarium Advice Addict
So the other day my male german blue ram died. Leaving the female behind. I got another male and the female chases him?! Does anyone know if she'll stop? Do you think they will pair? Thanks

Stupid question from me, because I'm assuming if she chased the old male you wouldn't have written this post, but: did you notice any territoriality from her to the previous male?

No I didnt. They defiantly paired. They layed eggs and no territorial issues. Just with this new male.

Samzter said:
No I didnt. They defiantly paired. They layed eggs and no territorial issues. Just with this new male.

Not 100% positive but I'm pretty sure most gbrs only pair with one partner so I really don't know if it's possible for her to pair up again

Majbarsalona said:
Not 100% positive but I'm pretty sure most gbrs only pair with one partner so I really don't know if it's possible for her to pair up again

I didnt think they did?

GBR can select a new partner, it takes time and doesn't always work. I've seen a few of your posts and you seem to know a bit already, just keep an eye on the male, if it gets to much take him out for a while if you can and let him rest. Trick I tried in the past was to starve the dominant GBR for a few days 2-3 while over feeding the bullied one to increase his strength then reintroducing after a minor tank change around. The fact the female is bigger is always better in GBR's as when then click she will have to be strong enough to tell him to clear off when she doesn't want to spawn, males bullying females when then don't want to breed is a common problem. If it doesn't work try a different female.

Yeah, I've only had her about a month, all I have now is a breeder box, my other tank has been in the basement for some time now.

Back
Top Bottom