Female guppy spine bent after giving birth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr Krabs

Aquarium Advice Activist
I had a nearly perfect blue Cobra female guppy specimen that I used for breeding. However after she had her first litter , her spine became very severely bent. I can't imagine she's very happy or feeling very well. What should I do?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

The only thing I can think of is something to relax the muscles which may allow the spine to straighten back out. Scratching my head there, I don't know of any cure you can bank on.

She had a straight spine. Now it's at a 45 degree angle.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I read something online at various sites about it could be vitamin d deficiency, also could be other mineral deficiency or a genetic problem. Most cases suggested quarantine & careful watch. No suggestions of cures unfortunately.

1487546945206.jpg

Sunny held for three months. She got bigger the entire time. Her spine never went back straight, but she's been dropping about 30 fry every month since November.

Edited to add: her fry are very pretty and they seem to be indestructible. I have no doubts about their health.

Last edited:
My female guppy looks just like this after her last batch of fry. So far doing okay.

Back
Top Bottom