female molly behavior question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really wouldn't bother because 2 neon tetras doesn't make a school anyway. Plus they are not the hardiest fish and don't do well in heavily overstocked tanks imo. Most likely your remaining neon won't last long and if you buy one more you are just going to keep repeating the "I only have one neon, I need another horrible cycle." For the neon to feel like it's in a proper school I would think you'd need at least 6-8.

If your molly babies are 4 months old, you need to find a way to get rid of them. First off how certain are you that all 15 are females. Secondly, neither a 10 gallon or a 20 gallon is really suited to hold 15 mollies, even with no other fish. You need to get rid of the babies, and you would be better off getting rid of the tetras. If you can't get rid of anything then I don't even know where to begin on advising you on how to seperate what you have.

But I really would stress that you not buy more fish!

I can't return it i've had it for months and petsmart is stupid like that -.-
Same for my other fish. I don't need anymore neons but I was my stupidity that killed the other 2 and I think that my singleton over there needs to have a friend X.x It's not like I'm getting 5 more tetras to get a normal school. I'm just trying to make it a bit happier. I know you guys are trying to help with whole overstocking thing but I'm gonna keep the ones I got, keep them happy and when they die I'll keep them dead unless they're schooling fish unless the whole school dies off, which I doubt would happen but who knows. I'm not even gonna get the tetra til I get my next paycheck anyways, which is next week XP

Yeah I know about the mollies, I can't do a whole heck of a lot at the current point in time except stick posters out on my lawn cuz I can't go anywhere....... -________- not having a license suckssss.......

Alright, alright I won't buy the freakin fish @______@ mfffff........

I have all the babies separated. 15 females, 13 males....well 12 but I counted small fry...

I had 40..but god knows where the other 12 went, probably got eaten when they were 2 months when I introduced them to the "big" fish

Puriti....."Put down the fish.......Slowly back away from the fish store.........You have a problem and we are going to find someone who can help you....."

:p Sorry couldn't resist. Anyway I've said enough and I'll be shutting up now.

....too late Talloulou has already left to run and hide behind her own heavily (though not as crazy bad as Puriti's) stocked tank. :mrgreen:

Have you tried any smaller non-chain pet stores? Most will take the fish off of your hands for you no matter where you purchased them.

I know you want the neon to be happy. But adding more fish is not in the best interest of your current fish.

LOL you are just like me! I have an already oversotcked 10 gal tank and I keep trying to think of things I can put in there! My 7 year old son thinks every time we to to the LFS that he gets to pick out a fish :p We finally today went and just looked, man was that hard to do. I am starting to get addicted to live plants now, if you really want to buy something live try one of them out, they are so nice, I threw out all my plastic plants and replaced them with live ones over the last month ;)

I tried live plants.... the one I got was apparently a weed because it overgrew the tank and the leaves got all caught in the filter, it was a mess. I admire all of you that can keep live plants, and keep them happy :) And I would say no wonder your mollies are unhappy hiding int he corner, they have no room to swim! I understand though, my 10 gallon was getting slightly overstocked towards the end, then I finally upgraded to a larger one. I'm thinking of setting the ten gallon back up and putting... something in it, but I just got my own apartment, and I'm not sure how much that would run up the electricity bill (with the heater, light, airstone and filter running)

Well, as I suspected, Jewel gave birth LOL so yeah that was just them being like.....FEED ME YOUR OFFSPRING :twisted:

Anyways, they're being all kinda happy perky now so I think they're all set lol

Back
Top Bottom