female molly behavior question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puriti

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, I have one pregnant mollies and I think she's starting to get gravid, but no idea, but my other mollies chase her around, and I've seen this happen to my other mollies when they were pregnant before where the other ones will start to chase it. Is it normal for them to be doing this? I figure they're just trying to be RIGHT there when they come out so they can eat them.

Also, since yesterday with my 4 fish deaths and the loss of my dalmatian molly Spunky, my female mollies are like... hiding and they didn't come up to eat or anything, with the exception of 2 babies but all the others are like just in a clump together or hiding. So I'm thinking it's either they're A) just waking up and are just still in half sleep mode B) they're not readjusted to their new home (I've moved them before and had no problems though) or C) they hate me -_______- lol

My mollies have never acted scared of me, and when I go to a fish store, the mollies are usually the ones who come right out to greet you. I would be concerned with your fish's behavior, especiallly since you had recent deaths. How long has the tank been set up? How big is it/how many fish? What kinds of fish? Is the water cloudy at all? Do you know the levels of nitrate/nitrite/ammonia? I would say that's definately not normal molly behavior, the sign of a sick or unhappy fish. Do you have other kinds of fish in the aquarium that are perhaps even picking on the mollys to make them hide?

lol maybe they'll be perkier when i get home, my male mollies are perky as usual, it's just the girls but they're in separate tanks...

The tank that you moved the mollies to, is it cycled?

Also, I don't recall from your previous threads, what size is the tank and all of the current inhabitants?

I believe she has them in smaller temporary tanks til she gets her new tank set up today, right?
They are probably just really unhappy about the move. I'd get them moved back into the larger tank as soon as you can. You'll be cycling the new tank with media from your old tank?

I had to dump all the water out of the 10 gal to move it.... so probably not but I rinsed the filter plastic thing and filter in the tank water (instead of tap) so the bacteria wouldn't be killed off completely but all the gunk would be off it. They're normally REALLY energetic but I think that there's a little trauma in that tank...

Do I really have to list ALL the fish I have in that tank? X.x

Depending on the amount of fish you have and the size of tank that they are in, they may be stressed. That's why I asked for the amount of fish and the size of the tank.

I don't think they would be, cuz they've been in that environment for months now but... I think it might just be I moved them and crap and then spunky's gone so they're confused but who knows...

10 gal

3 molly females
15 molly female babies
4 zebra danios
1 gold longfin danio
1 blue gourami
2 dwarf gouramis
1 female betta
3 cories
1 neon tetra...
2 black skirt tetras
and 5 ADFs

3 molly females
15 molly female babies
4 zebra danios
1 gold longfin danio
1 blue gourami
2 dwarf gouramis
1 female betta
3 cories
1 neon tetra...
2 black skirt tetras
and 5 ADFs

Puriti you mentioned in another thread that you wanted to buy more tetras so the ones you have won't be lonely since they need to be in a school. If I were you I would reconsider and try to get a store to take your skirt tetras and your remaining neon off your hands. Then divide the remaining fish like this

10 gallon
dwarf gourami
betta
3 cories

20 gallon
5 ADF
5 Danios
3 Adult female mollies
2 dwarf gouramis

Is anyone eating your molly babies? If someone is....keep right on letting that fish eat them. Cause even with your new tank you have no room. But if you can get rid of those tetras and the babies you will have two very manageable tanks that should do well with proper maintenance. But if you buy more tetras to make schools.......then one of the tanks is going to start off overstocked and your back where you started.

Just my opinon.....feel free to tell me to eat it :p

No, they're 4 months old, too big.
I was only gonna get 1 neon tetra o__o just so it'd have a tankmate to be with. It's not like I'm going out to buy a whole new cellophane betta, gold danio, and molly plus 2 neon tetras, I just don't want the poor thing to be alone O__O

My other gold longfin has my 4 zebra danios to keep it company, my female betta's fine as she is, and I have a bazillion female mollies, I do'nt need a new one lol

I also wouldn't put the male and female mollies together. This will just bring more babies that you don't have room for.

I'm not, but even if I did, I had 3 molly broods after the one I have now, I have... 3... I saved and the rest i let get eaten. The only reason I kept them was because they were dalmatian ones and I wanted to see how they'd come out. But I'm letting the other fish eat them, I could really care less lol I just made the mistake with the brood I have now by keeping ALL of them.

If you don't want it to be alone, then return it to the lfs. You don't have the room for any more fish. The other fish are more than enough. If you really want to have more neons, then at least consider returning other fish such as the gourami's or the female mollies.

Back
Top Bottom