Female on male aggression times 2!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trinifella

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, I have 1 pair of Dwarf Gouramis each in 2 20g tanks, and its like Armageddon over here (well was, only 1 pair left). The females absolutely cannot stand the males. It started in one tank first, so I switched the partners around. That did not matter. Both females kept chasing their males around day and night. I have plants, and a few hiding spots, but to no avail. I lost one male due to this aggression last month (I didn't realize it was that bad until his fin was almost completely eaten off, and by then it was too late). Female jumped out the tank a few days later, but I found her in time, so she survived for a short while, before she came down with dropsy (suited her right I think).

So now I have just 1 pair and was wondering what to do about the aggression (already moved some plants and stuff around and waiting to see if it helps). What is wrong with these ladies? Why are they so pissed??

First off, are you positive that they are females? Secondly, is the tank heavily planted? Thirdly, dg can be combative and if things are not right for breeding, they do not necessarily all get along. You may want to try keeping the remaining pair apart for now, and trying to re-introduction later. If you do, I would move the female into the male's tank since the female seems to be the one with the bone to pick.

Positive they were both females. The tank is moderately planted, probably lightly by some people's standards. Yea well since I have the other tank just sitting there (Was actually thinking about getting a pair of German Blue Rams thought), I could move the female to that tank and leave the male in the current tank. And later, re-introduce the female into the males tank (which would be the one they are currently in) like you said. I just don't understand why I haven't had an issue with the males chasing either females but the rather the females chasing the males

Pictures? Both genders are certainly capable of aggression. But I cannot tell you how many posts I've seen where people were mistaken about their "female" gouramis.

K as soon as i get home later I'll post them up. But there is really no mistaking female Dwarf Gouramis. They are silverish, and the males are really pretty

K as soon as i get home later I'll post them up. But there is really no mistaking female Dwarf Gouramis. They are silverish, and the males are really pretty

While it is generally true that the females are silvery, the males can be as well. Female dg are actually pretty hard to find in the American aquarium trade, and often the ones you do see are as colorful as males. It definitely happens, though it is not the norm. Perhaps females are more prevalent in your location.
But assuming they are females, I think you just got some feisty ones. Dg are territorial, and the females are not push overs. I have honey gouramis at the moment, and the females of that species are a bit territorial as well. DG have variable temperaments and some are just nicer than others, regardless of gender.

My female dg all but destroyed my male, by the time i worked out that what was happening to his dorsal fin was her and not an infection of some sort, it was too late, they were together for a week, thats all she needed.

Back
Top Bottom