Female Silver Dollar Hiding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquafreak

Aquarium Advice Freak
One of my Silver Dollar's is hiding in my cave and has been for several weeks. She's been through alot :cry: , Ick and Fungus both of which I have cured. Neither her or her partner (I'm assuming Male), is eating either. Could she be laying eggs in the cave (in an upper chamber)? Any ideas? PH 7.8(ish), Temp 80, bio and water filtration.

What are the other water parameters? What are you offering as food? What are the other tank mates, if any?

It's a very busy tank which has been maturing with many fishes for nearly 1 year. I've included the occupants in the signature with the exception of the crabs which have been removed.

I've replaced 2 very powerful lift tube powerpros with less powered ones (others went to my salt tank). Slight algae bloom cleaned weekly. Regular filter and water changes... regular feeding.

Do any of the fish pick on them? Do they defend the cave? Can you QT them and see if their behavior changes?

Hi aquafreak,
In addition to Menagerie's questions, here's my thoughts. Can you describe how you do filter and water changes? When you treated for ich and fungus, did you use any medicines in the main tank? If so, what were they? Do you know the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings?

Thanks!

Sure. I've recently changed the uplift tube pumps from Penguins (50+ gph) to less powerful Powerheads (30 gph) -- others went to my salt water 110 gallon. The ammonia levels are at the lowest reading. I'm water changing usually once per week. It is very oxygenated with a giant crystal and good pump. With so much air, the PH may be slightly elevated -- I have to check but it will be around 7.8. I now scrub for algae several times per week. Temperature: 81. Have used ick meds. 6 months ago and possibly 10 doses of 2 different fungus meds. Her tail fin is still recovering. Despite the fact that 2 Bali sharks seem to be growing quickly (I may move them), the other fish get along with them well. Almost a symbiotic relationship -- the swordtails pick debris off of them (they don't usually put up with it -- non aggressive all fish in tank) -- they are very light sensitive so I leave the lights down. She just likes the cave -- an upper level above where my black loaches sleep during the day. They aren't eating as well either -- I just have no idea. Is it possible that they are getting crowded out?

Hope this helps.

Hi aquafreak,
I don't have a big tank myself, but you may have to think about moving some fish out of this tank as it gets crowded. The ammonia is at the lowest reading -- does this mean 0? Even an ammonia reading of .25 is too high. Do some water changes to reduce the ammonia if it's higher than 0. Do you have a gravel vac to sweep through the gravel during a water change? This removes waste and uneaten food that has settled into the gravel. This waste material and food can rot and cause ammonia levels to rise if not removed.

I found a profile on Silver Dollars: http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile23.html
It says that they do like subdued light, so you're good there. It also says that this fish likes to be in groups of 4 or more, and they will always be shy and skittish in a small tank. Is this a 37-gal hex tank? (I can't see your sig from the reply screen anymore!) They may prefer a tank that is long rather than tall.

Sorry -- 44 gallon hex! That seems big enough in water volume, but the hiding behavior may mean that this fish does need more silver dollar tankmates to school with, or the hex dimensions aren't the best for them.

Thanks. I agree with you. Yes, it is a 44 gallon hex and I sweep the gravel regularly for fish wastes (since it is an undergravel filter). They are shy and skiddish. I'll think she'll be alright -- I'll try to make room for them when I can. Appreciate the profile link. Kudos!

Back
Top Bottom