Fertilizers and substrates safe for inverts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishb0ne

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm looking at substrates such as Flourite, Eco Complete and fertilizers such as Flourish, but since these all contain trace elements such as iron, are they safe for invertebrates such as shrimp and snails in an aquarium? I've got malaysian trumpet snails, a couple of bamboo shrimp and some other miscelaneous rounded, turbo-like snails.
Right now as a substrate I'm using pool filter sand, low-light plants but their growth is significantly stunted. I'm trying to fix that witout disturbing the inhabitants. What products would be safe?

I am using flourish with no problems for my shrimp and snails. I also have some eco mixed in.

Most planted substrates are fine for inverts. Iron isn't a problem for them...copper is.

Ah! In that sense then, I should stay away from Flourish since it contains copper, and use Flourish Excel instead.

Flourish shouldn't be a problem either. I use it. My shrimp and snails seem to be fine.

Eco Complete can be applied directly in the tank without having another substrate on top of it, like gravel, right?
I might transfer my 10g in another 10g with Eco Complete but wanted to make sure I'm starting out right.
I'd basically set the substrate, plant, transfer the water, rocks etc from my existing tank and finally the fish, shrimp, etc.

when you use a substrate for planted tanks, don't plan to layer it. You will end up mixing the gravel and the planted substrate. It is inevitable. If you don't mix it by planting and cleaning and such, your fish/snails/shrimps will mix it for you.

I sometimes use mixes of planted subs with pfs. I like sand a lot.

How about Tetra's FloraPride?
I looked on the back and it doesn't mention any copper.
Hmm, now that I think about it, it managed to melt my anacharis in the past.

Back
Top Bottom