Few Questions I wantted answered.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xIHaKIx

Aquarium Advice Activist
1. What are the pro's / con's of a "CO2" tank?...I seen people use them dont know why or have any idea what they do or how they work.
2. I want my next 5 gallon to be a guppy only tank, and I want it to be carpet planted w. lots of other plants in it. Is that a good idea?....Will I be able to get "carpet" plants at Petco?...if not where can I get em?
3. Why did you guys check out my fishtank :) and leave comments / questions?...You guys should I could use the feed back. Click the link below \/

If I got more questions Ill be sure to post em.

1. You use a CO2 tank with a regulator and diffusor as pressurised setup for CO2. That way you can give your plants Carbon, that they need to grow well in medium to high light conditions (2-4wpg).

If you have around 1.5-2wpg and a tank up to 50gal you can still do DIY CO2, it's not necessary, but the plants will profit from it.

2. If you want to have only male guppies in that 5gal that will be fine. In case you want to add females to the tank, too, you will soon run out of space, since the are very prolific (get lots of offsprings). And they will breed no matter what.

You can get all kinds of plants from www.aquariumplants.com. They have a great customer service, good prices and high quality plants. But if you only want to buy that little bit of glosso for your 5gal, it might be cheaper to look at a local store. Ask them, if they can order it for you.

3. Didn't check out your tank yet, sorry.

3. The tank looks really nice! You're off to a great start! I just hope you don't blow the fish tank down with the speakers :lol: :wink: .

I would consider some nice background paper (just my personal taste), maybe plain black, so the wallpaper behind the tank is not visible anymore. That would make it really sweet! (Note: It's just my personal preference)

I was thinking black would look nice, and Ill check out that site for the plants. Maybe find something cool up there, What I want is a nice hex for the corner of my desk...but idk because all the time I see them they are really big, I gotta go look around some pet stors and find one that I really really like, well its not bout taste, its the size I need......Then I could have the guppy's have tons of babies and over populate my tank....and Ill stay away from the CO2 till I get something big going, till then Ill use normal light and ill check out if I could buy CO2 tablets or something. BTW thanks for the tank comments...i could use all the feed back to make it better.

There is a liquid supplement called Flourish Excel which can be used in place of CO2 injection. It works well for smaller tanks, can get pricey once the tank size goes up.

Check out the Hagen Natural Plant system if you'd like to add CO2. It's the same concept as DIY CO2, yet better than the "Fizz Factory" which is what you are refering to a tablets and better than liquid carbon dosing (Liquid CO2 as some call it). The Hagen system comes with everything you need and will do a decent job on a 10 gallon tank.

5gallons is way too small to keep male and female guppies. When the breed, the tank will be horridly overstocked.

Back
Top Bottom