Fighter Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ACeee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

Around 10 days ago I introduced a fighter into a 6 month old tank. All seemed fine (although he spent a lot of time hiding in the plantation but I believe this is normal) but then 2 days ago I noticed that he had lost his colour on the upper rear part of his body and tail. (it had turned a white and black colour.) Yesterday, it had spread and he sadly passed away :(.

All water tests are fine and normal. I originally thought he may have an infection. (I do have some Golden Panchax that can get a bit aggressive)

Any ideas?

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry for your loss.

Do you mean a betta, when you said "fighter"? When I had them, they did not take kindly to changes. Was this a new fish or something you had in its own tank?

Quite often, they do not do well with tankmates. Mine were always loners because their personality dictated so. It's not actually normal for them to hide. They're usually quite boisterous.

What size tank and what are your readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? How did you acclimate him?

Hi LyndaB,

Thanks for the reply.

I think it is the Betta, in the UK they're called Siamese Fighting Fish.

It was a new Fish and added to a 12 Gallon tank alongside 4 Golden Bards, 4 Mollies and 2 Golden Panchax.

NO3 is 0.1, NO2 is 0.2, PH is 7.2 and KH is 6.

So, your tank is not cycled, judging by your readings. You're doing a "fish-in cycle"?

Uncycled tanks are toxic to fish. It could very well be that the betta wasn't strong enough to survive the cycling process.

Oh ok,

The filter's been running for 6 months so thought it would be well established and the testing kit said the readings were ok?!?!?

I'll have a read of the cycling article.

Really appriciate your help. :)

Running a filter through water for 6 months only pushes water around.. your other fish are Hardy enough that they should live through a fish in cycle.. do water changes, maybe pick up a bacteria supplement at you LFS, consider purchasing a liquid master test kit, keep taking readings and keep us posted and we will help you along.....
You didn't do anything wrong, I've been doing this for years . I still do fish in cycling

What test kit are you using?

At 6 months, your tank certainly should've been cycled. You should only have readings for nitrate (I'm sorry but I don't know which is which with NO3, NO2). You want to strive for ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate <20.

And 6 months it would be cycles, but IMO since there was no fish present that whole time from what I understand (PLEASE CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG! :) ) there would have been nothing bacteria wise to base the cycle on

Sorry, think I've added to the confusion. :facepalm:

There have been fish in the tank for 6 months, the Mollies and Barbs from the begininning and added the Golden Wonders and Dwarf Guarami's about 2 months ago.

There's always confusion in fishkeeping. :lol:

Your tank is overstocked, which may be part of the issue. With regard to the betta, you cannot keep a betta with gouramis, as both species are anabantoids. It just doesn't work (usually).

Mollies have a large bioload (produce a lot of waste) and so I've seen people who have them recommend 20 gallons or over.

What is your cleaning schedule with this tank?

I was wondering about over stocking but my dealer said it was fine....lesson learnt there!

PWC - every 14 days
Gravel clean/Glass wipe - monthly
Filter sponge clean (in aquarium water) - once every 3 months

Change your water changes to 50% weekly

Keep your filter media but rinse it out every week or two in used tank water, don't replace it until it's falling apart

We've all been given lousy advice by the so-called experts at the store. You wouldn't be the first. ;)

Thanks LyndaB,

I'll start this routine straight away.

I really appriciate all of the advice. I can tell I've come to the right place! :D

There are a lot of really knowledgeable people here...... and they are always willing to help! :)

Keep us posted....

Back
Top Bottom