fighting fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
K

kansaschick08

hey yall i have a red eyed tetra and a chinese alge eater. well those two had it out again. they got into a HUGE fihgt to where my tetra has no scales on the top of her head. what should i do? how long would my tetra live now that it has this lovely patch of no scales?please help!

Chinese algae eaters shouldn't be sold in stores. They are effective algae-eaters, but get very aggressive, territorial, and as in your case, sometimes even attack other species. Get rid of him. Return him to the store and get a Bristlenose Pleco or a Clown Pleco. These will take care of the algae, and not maul your other fish.

If they have otos (otocinclus catfish) you might consider these, too. But these often die soon after they're bought because of the way they're shipped to the US.

I had no idea that chinese algae eaters were that agressive. I've had brichardi fry disappear 3 times already and I've been blaming the synodontis cat that I have. Mabey I've mis-judged him. I'll have to apologize. :oops:

Don't lable the whole breed, Cause as we all know.. Each and every fish has their own unique personality.

I have 2 CAE, as can be seen in my sig.

The bigger one, thats in my 29gal tank, Is only aggressive at food time. And even then he's only aggressive towards the Bala shark. Its not even serious aggression, Just chasing the nosy bala away from his food before turning around to eat.

THe smaller CAE in my 10gal tank, it is the sweetest fish in the tank. Calm, Placid, a big baby. It has absolutely NO food aggression, No aggression AT ALL. He does not bother the other fish in the least.

They are algae eaters when their young, as they grow their interests drift from Algae to other types of food.

Sure, there are the mean CAEs who live for no other purpose but to attack and kill everything in sight.

But IMHO its wrong to lable ever single last CAE in the world as Murderous Monsters.

I'm not saying Kan's CAE is not aggressive, I'm meerly arguing the generalization of them being evil.

true william but this thing took the scales off to where there is only pink left as its scales

true william but this thing took the scales off to where there is only pink left as its scales

I thought he general consensus is that CAE only really eat algae well when young.. if at all. I have botia that eat more algae then my friends CAE did. And it picked at her new otos, it picked at her khulis, it picked at her neons. It attacked her female betta (the fourth evil sister of my three) one day and then her problems got solved before she could get the nets.
Evil monster no, fish do bad things becuase of our mis-selection. One can't bame your 8 inch oscar for eating all your long tail danio adn lemon skirts. Or your known-to-be-testy betta for killing all your male mollies.
But maybe overly aggressive unless there is like a huge footprint of bottom spacee..I suspect so.

I got a pair of Otos a few months ago when my 10 gallon was COVERED with algea, woke up the next morning and all the glass and rocks, even my little replica of the collesium was sparkling clean...had to take them back because there was no food left for them. :D

Back
Top Bottom