Fighting Fish? Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zebbyboy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I put a zebra danio last night in my tank with my 7 tetras. The zebra this morning is chasing the tetras around and I don't know if it looks like biting but the zebra is right on their tale picking out one tetra and cahsing it.

Is this nomral or is the zebra being aggresive? Or is just normal play?

If it is aggresive I don't want the fish to hurt my tetras so thanks everyone!

zebbyboy said:
I put a zebra danio last night in my tank with my 7 tetras. The zebra this morning is chasing the tetras around and I don't know if it looks like biting but the zebra is right on their tale picking out one tetra and cahsing it.

Is this nomral or is the zebra being aggresive? Or is just normal play?

If it is aggresive I don't want the fish to hurt my tetras so thanks everyone!

Only you can tell us if the danio is being overly aggressive. If you see nipped fins, odd swimming (such as listing to one side), or a severe loss of color (from stress) then you should probably remove the danio. if its just playful fun, they could use the exercise. :)

IME danios generally chase. If you keep them in a group they just chase each other. I've never had problems with them nipping (and this is in a tank with an angel) but I've never kept one alone either.

I would second FnF. I have a school of giant danios with discus (the timid fish of all timid fish). With a school they just chase each other, and don't seen to cause a problem at all. I would be reluctant to do just one danio (or a very small group) though, since their main hobby is chasing each other.

Back
Top Bottom