fighting YoYo loach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was under the impression that YoYo loaches were very peaceful but I've got one that has been a bugger for some time. Today, my big YoYo loach and the biggest of my new zebra loaches were going at it in the QT. Neither fish seemed to be backing down. The YoYo's markings were completely gone, which I assume means he/she was quite angry. I've never read where these loaches hurt each other but you never know. Should they be separated? I turned off the light but the room is dimly lit from the window. I felt the more subdued lighting would help calm the fish. However, after several hours, the YoYo's coloration is weird and the fish is basically acting mean. My other YoYo loaches are not this way. I added some PVC "T"s and elbows in the tank to add hiding places. Is everything going to be okay? If this loach keeps it up its going to earn a one way trip back to the lfs.

dax29....

It isn't at all uncommon for loaches, especially some of the Botia species, to get a bit territorial at times. I've seen exactly the same behavior with my Yo-Yo loaches where they lose all of their pattern as they're squabbling about something. To this point....though they still occasionally have little 'tiffs', no damage has ever been done. I've also seen my Zebra loaches have spats with each other and with the Yo-Yo loaches.

-Joe

loach stalemate

It seems that the tiff has ended for now. The big YoYo has regained it's color, the zebras are eating and swimming around (I just git them through the mail from aquariumfish.net). However, I still don't think the lion or the lamb are laying together quite yet. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom