Figure 8 puffer tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lawdawg18

Aquarium Advice Regular
My new Fig 8 Puffer seems to be doing great. I'd like to add a few other fish to the 29 gal he is in. It is slightly brakish. Here is what I'm thinking about 1 more fig 8 and 3-5 mollies, or 2 more fig 8's and 3-5 mollies. Would adding more plants and decor (hiding places/cover) make any difference when adding fish??

See my message on aquaria central. =)
You can't have tankmates with puffers. Some people mix their puffers with othe hardy robust brackish fish like scats and monos. However, I found out that even the smallest puffer will pick on a 10" scat. Their temperment varies day to day, from individual to individual. It's just best to have them in their own tank. Your 30g will do fine. Keep the salinity around 1.008-1.010, feed him lots of snails weekly(or hard shell food like shrimp with the shell on and cockles). Also they're very sensitive to ammonia and nitrites so buy those test kits (along with nitrate), make sure your tank is cycled. If it's not return the fish to the store and have them hold him there until the tank is cycled.

I absolutely agree. I have tried puffers with almost every fish and they do not seem to get along. I did get a plecostimus (sp?) to live in there once, he was a little bigger than the puffers, but that was it!

Some do believe that exceptions to the rules exist, and I'd tend to agree. You can put inverts such as lobsters/large crawfish with puffers, and some puffers, such as the Amazon puffer (Colomesus asellus) are renowned as having a milder temperament. However, this only applies in tanks larger than the one you have.

As a side note. Green Spot Puffers are some of the most aggressive of the puffer species, yet a member of www.cichlid-forum.com has these along with his Lake Malawi cichlids in a 125 gallon w/o problems. Some species are fast enough and CAN fend for themselves (such as the Pseudotopheus demasoni!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). Always know that there are exceptions, but that knowing where to draw the line is really a matter best left for absolute experts with big tanks!!

in my 55 gallon, my 2 green spotted puffers don't even try to bother my monos. they also don't even look at the hermits. they've never shown aggression towards eachother, and when i a molly in the tank with them, they never bothered that either. though they will not hesitate to bite my finger...

Back
Top Bottom