figured out why my danios dont shoal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

orandafan12

Aquarium Advice Freak
I think they are different variants. Some have long fins and some have short ones. Is this the problem?

the different variants will still school together, but species that look exactly the same will form a tighter school

My danios never shoaled. They were each too busy in their own little psychotic world to notice each other. :rolleyes:

An important thing to know about fish is that there is a fairly big difference between "shoaling" and "schooling".

"Shoaling" is a social behavior that is exhibited by fish that interact with each other for mating or for fun.

"Schooling" is a defensive behavior where the fish form a group just for protection.

Danios are a "schooling" fish - so if there is nothing in your tank that threatens them, then they have no real reason to school and will instead just prance around doing whatever they want.

An important thing to know about fish is that there is a fairly big difference between "shoaling" and "schooling".

"Shoaling" is a social behavior that is exhibited by fish that interact with each other for mating or for fun.

"Schooling" is a defensive behavior where the fish form a group just for protection.

Danios are a "schooling" fish - so if there is nothing in your tank that threatens them, then they have no real reason to school and will instead just prance around doing whatever they want.

+1 (15 letters.....)

that's interesting...

So when fish "school", this is bad - because they feel unsafe?
Hence, when fish are not schooling, this means they are happy?

I've always enjoyed watching fish 'school'. I prefer they do.

back to topic. I don't think I have ever seen my danios "School".
They spend most of their time chasing each other around the tank - similar to tiger barbs.

Something bad has happened. One of them doesnt have a back fin what do i do? And i got school so i cant do anything til 3

Do you mean he's missing his tail?

What size tank is this and how many danios do you have?

What else is in the tank?

What species and how many of each?

Danios are not your peaceful little fish. That's why I don't keep them anymore. They cause havoc wherever they go.

If it's fin rot, that would mostly be due to water params being poor. What are your readings?

Back
Top Bottom