Film on top of water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Feynman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently did these things to my aquarium:

1. Open Top with Coralife 2x65w lights.
2. CO2.
3. Canister filter (Fluval 304) from HOB.
4. Planted.

Now I have this weird film stuff on top of my water that is bugging me (and my butterfly fish). I know some people might say that its the water conditioner stuff that leaves a film, but I haven't changed what I was using (previously film free) for 8 months or so. Could it just be dust and whatever falling into the tank because I have it open now? When I get home I'm going to reposition the out-take of my canister filter to cause more surface agitation. I have some floating plants so I had it underneath the water enough not to move the surface too much.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Is it a thick film, or does it look more oily? I have an oily film in my 55, I assume it from the water conditioner, the fish food, and the fish themselves. I try to keep the outflow to a minimum in my betta tank, but if there isn't enough water movement at the surface, a thicker film builds up. Good luck to you.

It's a thick film. When I blow across the surface, the water will "bend" and when I stop blowing the surface returns to the original starting position, so I have no surface movement. I'll try getting some more surface movement from my filter tonight in case I'm experiencing something similar to your betta tank.

If you can angle the return from the canister up so it makes ripples on the water that should help. Mine doesn't turn or bend or anything so I put a suction cup under the J tube thingy, so it props it up.

I started to get a film & still have a bit of one. Mine was definitely from my driftwood & probably still is though I boiled it for days. I think its a breakdown product.

I suck mine up when I do my water changes. I put my python just below the surface so it makes slurply sounds & the film is gone fast.

Simple, buy the $8 surface skimmer attachment for the Fluval 304, BigAl's has it among other places. Problem solved. I have one, but I don't use it because I don't have any surface film.

Well changing the angle of the outflow and putting it a bit more towards the surface got rid of the film. I guess it was just collecting junk on top. Thanks Meredith. I had to turn down the flow from my canister a bit because of my floating plants, but I think that's ok. Better not to have that crap on the surface.

Thanks for the surface skimmer tip too, I'll check that out and see if it might be a better solution for my setup.

Back
Top Bottom