Filstar pump failure after 3yrs... normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JamesMJ2

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey there -

I was finishing up late last night servicing my tank and I could not get the pump to pump! The motor will turn on and I can hear it sloshing water around, but it can't seem to build enough force to move water. I pretty certain it still is sealing properly and the filter is freshly serviced as well. Talked to a guy at my local shop and he suggested that it was likely the motor. Do these XP series filters usually last about 3yrs?

Thanks.

no i believe i have had mine longer then that. i have 6-7 of them. have you took apart the impeller to make sure its clean in there? what i would do it plug it in make sure thats still working where you can see it. clean the tubing and media to make sure its not clogged.

Definitely take it apart and flush out everything, including removing the impeller and making sure it spins easily, and cleaning out any gunk in the well where the impeller sits.

Also, if it lost the siphon you might need to unscrew the cap on the intake and pour water down there to start the flow - could be as simple as that.

These filters should last way longer than 3 yrs. I've had mine for almost 10, running 24/7, 365.

I guess everyone has their own luck. My XP lasted about 2 months running good. Now it is a weekly chore to just to keep it going... I can't wait for my Fluval to get here and replace it.

I agree with tankgirl.

The amount of people I hear having problems with HOB also not pumping water when they start them up from new or after cleaning.

Most of the time all you have to do is pour water into the intake area to start the syphoning process and voila!

I guess everyone has their own luck. My XP lasted about 2 months running good. Now it is a weekly chore to just to keep it going... I can't wait for my Fluval to get here and replace it.
my fluval breaking down every month was the reason i got the xp lol

I've had fantastic luck with both Rena and Fluval canisters. They are great products for the money IMO.

I agree with taking the filter completely apart and cleaning the impeller housing.

Is it priming correctly? I'd take off the screw cap and fill the hose. Then cut it back on and see what you get.

I tore it completely down for cleaning, rebuilt it and it worked. I shut it down when I was topping off the tank (I had to leave before I could finish filling it) After I filled my tank, it would not pump. I could see it trying to build pressure in the outflow side, but it didn't reach the actual nozzle. I have to admit... I don't let the pump self prime. When I re-attach the valve to the can, I've already filled the can most of the way full. I can't see how it would make a difference. (it never has in the past) The other strange thing was the O-ring that is between the motor and the top filter basket cap (the cap that seal to the motor) That crappy neoprene O-ring had broken. I sealed the **** out of the O-ring channel with silicon sealant, but as I mentioned earlier the pump still failed to produce enough pressure to move water. So... I am at a loss. The HOB Penguin is handling filtration for now, But I'd love to get this thing working again.

did you also make sure to fill the hose like hn said? i know a few times i forgot couldnt figure out why it wasnt working when i did a wc i dropped the water too much and a bunch of air got into the line.

Back
Top Bottom