filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wildcatcrzy said:
I have a marineland penguin 350 on my 47 gallon. Does it have to be ran 24/7?

Your filter should always be running. If I'm wrong about this I will shocked. I know people that have battery back ups on there filters just incase of a power failure.

I mean you shut them off during water changes and maintenance. Other then that they should stay up and running.

Your filter should always be running. If I'm wrong about this I will shocked. I know people that have battery back ups on there filters just incase of a power failure.

I mean you shut them off during water changes and maintenance. Other then that they should stay up and running.
I agree!!! We have a generator to keep the tanks (and some household items) running in event of power failure-which happens atleast once a mth!

What does the filter do? I know it gets poo and larger pieces of uneaten food but does it do more on a biological and microscopic level?

Yes, it houses the beneficial bacteria which is pretty much key to success. That stuff "eats" the ammonia and other crap you probably don't want in you tank :)
I run my large filter (Emperor 400) 24/7, but my smaller one (Emperor 280) only runs when I'm not sleeping (it's louder...).

KonvictKeeper said:
Yes, it houses the beneficial bacteria which is pretty much key to success. That stuff "eats" the ammonia and other crap you probably don't want in you tank :)
I run my large filter (Emperor 400) 24/7, but my smaller one (Emperor 280) only runs when I'm not sleeping (it's louder...).

x100000

Convict2161 said:

I am one of those people. I have an UPS battery backup on my filters. I run them 24/7. The ups will keep it going for a few hours.

Back
Top Bottom