Filter???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Velksfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 36 gallon bow front tank, currently I am running a MarineLand Penguin 200B (50 Gallon) Filter. I am thinking about adding another filter but want to get some advice on which would be the better option. I do a 25-30% WC weekly, all my parameters are good, I just think having another or bigger filter would be nice.

Here is what I am thinking.
Option 1: Keep my 200B (50 gal) and add another 200B (50 gal)
Option 2: To get a MarineLand Penguin 350B (70 Gal) and just run one filter

What option would be the best for my tank or which filter would be best.
Any Suggestions are helpful.
And if there is a better filter out there I can get or better ideas of what I can do, I am open to suggestions.

I have been using Penguin power filters for years but decided to try something different. I started using a canister filter . I love it and wish I had made the change years earlier. I got an API Filstar xp for up to 75 gallons for my 44 gallon freshwater corner tank. The water is so clear now it is unbelievable. Easy to maintain and most of the filter pads are reusable so in the long run I save on filter media. Something to check into anyway.

Tank Filtration

I have a 36 gallon bow front tank, currently I am running a MarineLand Penguin 200B (50 Gallon) Filter. I am thinking about adding another filter but want to get some advice on which would be the better option. I do a 25-30% WC weekly, all my parameters are good, I just think having another or bigger filter would be nice.

Here is what I am thinking.
Option 1: Keep my 200B (50 gal) and add another 200B (50 gal)
Option 2: To get a MarineLand Penguin 350B (70 Gal) and just run one filter

What option would be the best for my tank or which filter would be best.
Any Suggestions are helpful.
And if there is a better filter out there I can get or better ideas of what I can do, I am open to suggestions.

Hello Velk...

Proper tank filtration is really pretty simple. You need a filter with a gallon per hour (gph) rating 6 times the volume of your tank in gallons. So, if you have a filter with a gph of 220 or more, you're providing the proper filtration.

Many will over filter their tanks and that's fine, but you can't rely on filters to keep the tank water clean. Only large, weekly water changes will do that.

I've kept filters that are a bit below the minimum, but I change out half the tank water every week, so the filter I have is just turning over water that's already clean.

If you follow a sound water change routine, then more filters aren't better, just more expensive.

B

Thanks B. My tank is very clean and i do at least a 25-30% wc weekly and more if needed. So your saying my filter is good for my tank?? If thats the case I'm ok with keeping just one filter.

Tank Filtration

Thanks B. My tank is very clean and i do at least a 25-30% wc weekly and more if needed. So your saying my filter is good for my tank?? If thats the case I'm ok with keeping just one filter.

Hello again Velk...

Check the specifications of your current filter. If its water turnover rating (gph) is 220 gallons or more, you have the proper filter for a 36 gallon tank.

If the gallons per hour rating is less than 220, then you're "under filtering" your tank. That's not a bad thing, but you'll need to increase your weekly water change accordingly, to maintain pure water conditions for your fish and plants. I change half the water every week, but some don't for whatever reason.

If I'm going to the effort of getting out the gear for a water change, I'm going to spend a few more minutes to change out a little more water. If I was living in the same water I was doing my "business" in, I'd want a lot of water changed and changed often.

Just a couple of thoughts.

B

Thanks B. i think my filter does 200 gph. So i definitely will be looking to get a larger filter. And great point about weekly water changes. And am going to start doing a higher percentage. Thanks for the info !!!!!

Canister Filters and Aquaclears are my favorites. I do really like the Bio wheels but all the ones I've gotten were super loud and annoying. But another filter can never hurt if you have the money for it. If you decide to add another HOB definitely give Aquaclear a try!

Edit: Sumps are the best but wouldn't be worth it on a tank that size IMO.

Another filter to consider would be the fuval c series HOB, same company and basic idea as the aquaclears but with a few upgrade or improvements. The c4 would do great on that aquarium

Another filter to consider would be the fuval c series HOB, same company and basic idea as the aquaclears but with a few upgrade or improvements. The c4 would do great on that aquarium

What do they have that Aquaclears don't?

What do they have that Aquaclears don't?

A different strainer and a 4 stage filtration system. 1 mech that is a 2 sided foam that's coarse and fine, 1 chem and 2 bio. It has a wet/dry system like the biowheel a but a different concept. And it recirculates the water allowing more time spent actually filtering the water, but I think ACs do that too, I'm not sure

Thanks. Will definitely look into the C4. Is it quiet. I like the marineland penguin 200 but it is kinda noisy, and after all this info I need a bigger filter so. I would rather have one filter big enough then have to run 2.

Thanks. Will definitely look into the C4. Is it quiet. I like the marineland penguin 200 but it is kinda noisy, and after all this info I need a bigger filter so. I would rather have one filter big enough then have to run 2.

You could have to double check the size of it, I can't remember exactly, I think it's up to 70g maybe. It is extremely quiet but it does make a gurgling sound until its completely primed. It keeps my 20g quiet and crystal clear (I have the c3)

Before you add another filter you should check out this YouTube video. I'll post the link tomorrow, too tired now. It could save you $60.

If you have an airstone in your tank you can turn it into this
it still aerates the tank but also provides biological and slight mechanical filtration.

I just want to get whatever filter is best for my tank, best for the money, and works the best, and quiet.....

I just want to get whatever filter is best for my tank, best for the money, and works the best, and quiet.....

Just add another filter to the one you already have. Even if you want to buy a larger one just run both. Did you check out the link I posted?

Back
Top Bottom