Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ncgamerguy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm looking for some advice. I've had an aquarium going on 6yrs. But it seems like every year and half to 2 years I'm having to replace my filter. I cant figure out what is going on. Is this normal? I've had 2 Tetra whispers, and currently have a marineland (But will have to get a new filter this weekend) and all have gone out for motor issues. Any one else had similar experiences?

I have had to replace impellers from time to time, but no actual motor problem other than that. Usually parts have to be ordered instead of picking them up in a store. After getting a new filter, it may be worth ordering parts for the one you have as a backup.
I'm looking for some advice. I've had an aquarium going on 6yrs. But it seems like every year and half to 2 years I'm having to replace my filter. I cant figure out what is going on. Is this normal? I've had 2 Tetra whispers, and currently have a marineland (But will have to get a new filter this weekend) and all have gone out for motor issues. Any one else had similar experiences?

I have an all pond solutions EF2 ITS 600 ltr capible and it's amazing would highly recommend it also have a UV light to help kill of any unwanted bacteria or pests ect

I’ve used Fluval / AquaClear series HOB filters for years with no issues. I prefer these over cartridge style filter media.
OP - How big is the tank and what are you keeping in it?

I’ve used Fluval / AquaClear series HOB filters for years with no issues. I prefer these over cartridge style filter media.
OP - How big is the tank and what are you keeping in it?
I have 55gallon tank. I have 6 tetras, 3 cherry barbs, 2 rainbow fish, a swordtail, a mini catfish and a Dojo loach

I’d run a single AC (AquaClear) 70 or a pair of AC50s on that tank.
I don’t use the provided sponge in those filters. I put a wad of Polyfil (polyester floss) in the bottom and place the bag of biomedia over it.

Hi I use fluvals and a eheim filter,the ehiem is awesome and been going for over ten years now! As already said the impellors can need replacing plus the sealer rings. They can usually be ordered easily enough. what is wrong with yours?

Something I forgot to mention yesterday, open the section where your impeller is and pull the impeller out and inspect it. Over time, debris including filter floss fibers and other debris gets accumulated on the impeller itself or the round permamagnet attached to it. See if it just needs cleaning.

Something I forgot to mention yesterday, open the section where your impeller is and pull the impeller out and inspect it. Over time, debris including filter floss fibers and other debris gets accumulated on the impeller itself or the round permamagnet attached to it. See if it just needs cleaning.

This is a good point. I regularly have to clean the impeller in my Aquaclears of the gunk that builds up. (And the occasional snail that finds its way down there... :eek: )

Did you ever get a chance to check your impeller?

I did, that was the first thing I did. But that's what's making the noise. I have cleaned it but its grinding against the intake tube

I did, that was the first thing I did. But that's what's making the noise. I have cleaned it but its grinding against the intake tube
There may be debris in the section where the round permamagnet goes causing it to stick out too far. Clean out the whole that the magnet sits in with toothpick or cotton swab really good and wipe off the magnet and see if that helps. If not, just order a new impeller assembly. You can order it from the aquarium store or online. It doesn't mean the filter is bad. Even the newest cars will eventually need new tires. It's just called maintenance. You may not need to put out the cash for a new filter. Just fix the one you have for just the price of a new impeller.

There may be debris in the section where the round permamagnet goes causing it to stick out too far. Clean out the whole that the magnet sits in with toothpick or cotton swab really good and wipe off the magnet and see if that helps. If not, just order a new impeller assembly. You can order it from the aquarium store or online. It doesn't mean the filter is bad. Even the newest cars will eventually need new tires. It's just called maintenance. You may not need to put out the cash for a new filter. Just fix the one you have for just the price of a new impeller.
I forgot to mention to check the edges of the intake tube to make sure there are no plastic spurs on it, or maybe it's managed to push in a fraction of an inch too far.

Back
Top Bottom