Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chill

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20 gallon tank. We have some plants and 2 goldfish. I know most of the beneficial bacteria is in the filter but how often should you change it? I know when your do pwc you rinse it off in that water but how often should you change the entire thing? I’m using a hob bio bag from tetra.

Ideally you'll want the water to flow through a course sponge, then a fine filter floss, then biomedia last.

Then during each eater change or every other water change, rinse the course sponge in old tank water (that is enough to keep it clean), rinse the biomedia in old tank water, (to get rid of any fine graded, loose organic material) and then throw out + replace the filter floss.

Hello Chill...

Filters should be changed more often than most believe. In my tanks that have filters, I change them out every couple of weeks, so I know they're working well. I just rinse the new filter in some water change water and put it in the tank. You'll remove some of the bacteria during the process, but the bacteria will repopulate the tank in a short time, so no harm is done. Remember, smaller tanks need half the water changed a couple of times weekly, to keep the nitrogen from the dissolving fish waste out of the tank. If you're not there, gradually work up to this point.

B

Back
Top Bottom