Filter and Fish HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NYFishGuy714

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey Everybody!

I have two questions I would really appreciate some help with. I have an Aqueon 36 gallon bow front tank and I was told a canister filter could be better for my tank than the HOB I currently have.

Does anyone have a few good suggestions for some canister filters that would be ok for my tank?

Also, I was wondering what kind of fish go well with Neon Tetras and Platy fish

:thanks:. :cool:

I honestly like HOBs more what type do you have? And how many platys and neon tetras do you have,

I honestly like HOBs more what type do you have? And how many platys and neon tetras do you have,

I have an Aqueon Quiet Flow 30 as my filter and a Hydro-sponge powered by a Tetra Whisper Air Pump. As for the fish I have 3 Neon Tetras and 8 platys.

The only HOB filters I use are aquaclears, I'd put a model 70 on that size tank.
As for fish, Corydoras catfish would mix well. Neons are schooling fish, best kept in larger groups than 3, I'd add at least 6 more.

I really like 2 filters more just in case I would do 2 aqua clear 30s if it was me. If you have 8 platys you will quickly be over run with fry know what your doing with those yet?

Also I would add 3 more neon tetras they do really need groups. Then I would put in either 6 Cory cats of your choice and a bristlenose pleco.

Or 3 more neons 6 Cory's cats and a single either honey gourami or dwarf gourami.

Or you could be overkill like me and run a hob and a canister. I have a fluval 406 and an ac70 on my 55. =p

The only HOB filters I use are aquaclears, I'd put a model 70 on that size tank.
As for fish, Corydoras catfish would mix well. Neons are schooling fish, best kept in larger groups than 3, I'd add at least 6 more.

I'll be checking out the Aquaclear line of filters tonight after work. Ok so I'll add 6 more Neons. As for the Corydoras funny you should mention them because I was actually looking at some Albino and Panda ones that I liked a lot. Maybe I could do like 2 of each kind?

I'll be checking out the Aquaclear line of filters tonight after work. Ok so I'll add 6 more Neons. As for the Corydoras funny you should mention them because I was actually looking at some Albino and Panda ones that I liked a lot. Maybe I could do like 2 of each kind?

No you can't just get 2 of each kind. Corys should be kept in a minimum group of 6 or 7. Ideally more.

Check out the Aquaclear 70. Run it with 2 sponges and a bag of biomedia (comes with it) for best results. (you will need to buy a seperate extra AC70 sponge. Couple of bucks). Aquaclear is the best hang on back filter.

If you want a real good filter that you could just run by itself (if you did that, you'd have to put the biomedia from your current filters in it) get an Eheim 2215.

I really like 2 filters more just in case I would do 2 aqua clear 30s if it was me. If you have 8 platys you will quickly be over run with fry know what your doing with those yet?

Also I would add 3 more neon tetras they do really need groups. Then I would put in either 6 Cory cats of your choice and a bristlenose pleco.

Or 3 more neons 6 Cory's cats and a single either honey gourami or dwarf gourami.

Thank you for the input. I really like the Cory catfish so I will definitely be adding some to my tank. I did some looking around and found out Platys are livebearers.

So I bought 4 plastic breeders and figured I could put any females that get pregnant in there when they look close to giving birth.

Once they do give birth I have a ten gallon that I was going to use to house the fry in until they mature and I can add them to either my 36 gallon or my 55 gallon that I am currently in the middle of doing a fish less cycle.

No you can't just get 2 of each kind. Corys should be kept in a minimum group of 6 or 7. Ideally more.

Check out the Aquaclear 70. Run it with 2 sponges and a bag of biomedia (comes with it) for best results. (you will need to buy a seperate extra AC70 sponge. Couple of bucks). Aquaclear is the best hang on back filter.

If you want a real good filter that you could just run by itself (if you did that, you'd have to put the biomedia from your current filters in it) get an Eheim 2215.

So maybe I'll go with 8 of the Panda Corys. Would that be an acceptable number to keep them happy?

Yes everybody keeps telling me the Aquaclear hob filters are the best. Are they known to be pretty quiet? say compared to the Aqueon type I currently have? Sorry for all the questions I just like learning any new information I can get. Thanks!

So the Eheim would be the best option? I'm willing to spend some more money if it's a better option than the Aquaclear. :blink:

Plastic breeding boxes are pretty much worthless IME. Provide a bit of cover for the fry and not all will get eaten, and livebearers tend to overcrowd tanks quicker than you'd think if nothing eats the fry.
Canister filter or hob is a matter of personal preference. I have 11 tanks running, so I prefer hob's because they're easier to clean. I do run Eheim canisters on 2 tanks, they're the best long-term as far as (not) replacing parts.

Aqua clears are very quiet filters. That's a great number of pandas 8 will be perfect! Also I think the breeding boxes are ok but I would just let the fry be free and those that survive those that don't just don't survival of the fittest.

So the Eheim would be the best option? I'm willing to spend some more money if it's a better option than the Aquaclear. :blink:

A filter with a 3 or 4 liter media capacity will be better than a filter with a 3/4 liter media capacity, but that doesn't mean that the aquaclear will do a bad job. The Eheim is going to be a better filter. It's also slightly more annoying to set up and maintain.

If you have the money to spend, buy the better product, which IMO is the canister.. If you're on a budget, get the Aquaclear.

Also, in my experience Pandas are one of the more sensitive and fragile corys. I have had the best luck and the healthiest most robust results with Bronze corys (Corydoras aeneus)

Aqua clears are very quiet filters. That's a great number of pandas 8 will be perfect! Also I think the breeding boxes are ok but I would just let the fry be free and those that survive those that don't just don't survival of the fittest.

Looks like I'm gonna have to decide if I want to go hob or canister lol
Yeah, I decided I'm going to let the natural tank process take place when it comes to the fry. If none survive oh well. If some live I do have two other tanks not being used that I could put to use.

A filter with a 3 or 4 liter media capacity will be better than a filter with a 3/4 liter media capacity, but that doesn't mean that the aquaclear will do a bad job. The Eheim is going to be a better filter. It's also slightly more annoying to set up and maintain.

If you have the money to spend, buy the better product, which IMO is the canister.. If you're on a budget, get the Aquaclear.

Also, in my experience Pandas are one of the more sensitive and fragile corys. I have had the best luck and the healthiest most robust results with Bronze corys (Corydoras aeneus)

Thank you for all of your help. I'm going to look into both products a little more and make my decision. I think I'm leaning towards the canister road right now. I'm going to look for the Bronze Corys next time I'm at the pet store. Have you had any dealings with Albino Corys?

The albinos are basically just albino bronze Cory's they are very hardy and IMO the coolest Cory's I have ever owned.

Back
Top Bottom