Filter Bacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian086

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, i had a leak on my tetra EX700 canister filter:facepalm:. Waiting for a part to be delivered. Anyway, have it switched off for about 9 days now. My question is, will the bacteria in the filter have survived...All advice welcome..

After 9days its hard to say. If the media was kept wet then it's possible. All you can do is try it and see. Hopefully most of your bb made it and all you experience is a mini cycle.

Hi, i had a leak on my tetra EX700 canister filter:facepalm:. Waiting for a part to be delivered. Anyway, have it switched off for about 9 days now. My question is, will the bacteria in the filter have survived...All advice welcome..

After 9 days it's almost certainly dead I believe due to lack of oxygen.

My advice is to clean out the filter (So as to avoid pumping dead bacteria into the tank) and restart the cycle.

I would leave it and run it after you fix it. The bacteria will survive also it not only in your filter its on your substrate sides of glass decor. Also it don't need much oxygen and there should be enough to help it somewhat survive in the water. Think about it it's a canister filter when it's running the only oxygen being given to it is what is in the water.

I would leave it and run it after you fix it. The bacteria will survive also it not only in your filter its on your substrate sides of glass decor. Also it don't need much oxygen and there should be enough to help it somewhat survive in the water. Think about it it's a canister filter when it's running the only oxygen being given to it is what is in the water.
That's what i was hoping to hear!!, i have a 55g with a lot of decor(mostly plastic plants). I have an emergency internal filter with a 1000lph flow rate. I have been testing the water daily and my amm=0, nitrite=0, nitrate<20. Water is clear although i have a lot of brown algae growing...Any tips for this, i plan on getting a bristlenose in the next week. Will he look after all that or should i clean it??. Also when i get the canister up and running again hopefully tomorrow, i will be using a 100ml bag of Purigen, i have a spare 100ml bag i could pop in also?? Will this have any effect on the brown algae??..All advice welcome...Ian

Once you get your canister up and running leave the internal filter running for a few days to help seed the canister just in case. Plecos do a great job of cleaning algae so I say you should always have at least one in every tank. I would do some algae cleaning also just to keep it from getting out of control.

Once you get your canister up and running leave the internal filter running for a few days to help seed the canister just in case. Plecos do a great job of cleaning algae so I say you should always have at least one in every tank. I would do some algae cleaning also just to keep it from getting out of control.

Cheers Christopherlh84, That's what i thought i should do, always good to get a second opinion though!!(y)(y)

I disagree! This is only my amateur opinion, but your bacteria just might be fine. When Hurrican Sandy knocked out my power for 12 days, I kept my fish alive by heating up water in my fire place and doing hot water changes. Power comes on, every day for the next week I check my params. No ammonia. Not even a mini cycle. Don't be so pessimistic, the bacteria just might be fine.

I disagree! This is only my amateur opinion, but your bacteria just might be fine. When Hurrican Sandy knocked out my power for 12 days, I kept my fish alive by heating up water in my fire place and doing hot water changes. Power comes on, every day for the next week I check my params. No ammonia. Not even a mini cycle. Don't be so pessimistic, the bacteria just might be fine.

Hi nicktrubilla, cheers for the reply. Glad to hear you and your fish survived Sandy..I'm assuming you were disagreeing with Cynic and not Christopher as he is basically saying the same as you!!. Got my part today, cleaned the algae and put in my purigen(2hrs ago) and the tanks crystal clear already...I'll post some water results in a couple of days if anyone's interested!!...Thanks all for the replies...Ian:thanks:

Haha yeah my fault, I read like two replies and then wrote my comment. I assumed everyone else had the same opinion. Anyway, keep us posted. I'm sure everything's gravy.

Back
Top Bottom