Filter box with crack, can i use silicon sealant to seal it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbahseng

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I ordered a Penguin 170 from Bigals last week and just got the filter yesterday. And when i took the filter out of the box i notice a crack on the bottom of the filter box. So i contact Bigals and want to exchange for a new one. And they told me it's manufacture defect and want me to deal with Marineland myself! I had made a few orders from them and didn't expect to get this respond :bad-words: !

So I contact Marineland this afternoon and they said i can just send it to them and they will replace it. However it may take 2 weeks to get a replacement. In the mean time i was thinking probably i can use silicon sealant to seal the crack, will it work?

The first thing I'd do is contact BigAls and let them know they lost a repeat customer. Next I'd see if marine land would send you one now and let you send the defect back. Otherwise I'd do it their way, I wouldn't attempt a repair.

Mark

Marineland is very cocerned about customer service and I'm sure they will ship one out to you. They may want a tracking number before they ship another one, but to be honest...I'm surprized they didn't just send a new one out to you and tell you to throw away the cracked filter. That is what I've come to expect from them...they tend to want to make things very easy on the customer.

I agree with Mark and Kevin...get another one from Marineland. Silicone, although it is pretty much the glue all/fix all super stuff, tends not to stick very well to some plastics...not sure why. I don't know if it would work on your filter box or not. It would really stink to repair it and have it start to leak in 6 months.
Logan J

I wouldn't attempt a repair personally, if they see that, they may think that you caused the crack in the first place and refuse a new filter / refund.

Maybe if you told them that you purchased this filter as your current one was starting to have problems and you really cant wait 2 weeks to replace your current filter.

As kevin said you might be able to arrange a cross shippment type of return where you send them yours and they send you one at the same time so bassicly the two filters cross eachother one going home and one going to your place.

[url=http://www.bigalsonline.com/cgi-bin/company_info.cgi?inUID=1045182278.1045182278&inCUR=US said:
Biog Al's Website[/url]]
• IF YOU ARE NOT COMPLETELY SATISFIED WITH ANY UNUSED ITEM, YOU CAN SIMPLY RETURN IT WITHIN 30 DAYS FOR A REFUND OR REPLACEMENT

Got that from Big Al's website. I would make them honor their guarantee. I don't think if I got a cracked filter, I would be completely satisfied.

Back
Top Bottom