Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-02-2018, 01:10 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by epoole.j View Post
Buy a canister filter. You will be so happy!

I don't have the space... one of my future tanks will definitely have one for sure though!

Old 01-03-2018, 12:09 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Did you put it onto a DW or rock? They do not want to be planted! They can die.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:12 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
Did you put it onto a DW or rock? They do not want to be planted! They can die.

Oh, I planted them... I saw people do it before, so I assumed I would be okay. I don't have a driftwood piece to put it on, the one I have is already taken by a java fern. What do I do? Is there a way to plant them so they stay healthy?
Old 01-03-2018, 01:53 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

From the top is the leaf, then stem, then brown thick stem like part called the rhizome, then little roots.

Only the little dangling root parts can be in the substrate or the rhizome can rot. It can sit on the top of the surface.

The most simple way to deal with it is to tie it on a stone. It will grow over the stone and likely root onto the substrate, but that will keep the rhizome above to keep it from getting buried/rotting. You can use a chunk of wood too.

Also you can get a chunk of Mopani wood at Petco for maybe $6-7 for a "small" size in the reptile section, about 8.99 for the "medium" if there is limited selection in the fish section.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:53 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Don't plant anubias in the substrate it causes rhizome rot, I just lost my nana to it I tried to save it but it was too far gone, tie it loosely to apiece of driftwood (tight but not too tight) with black nylon string or fishing line, same with rock but might need glued which I don't know what's safe to use, after a while the roots will grow into the wood or rock and you just cut the string and remove it.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:56 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'll try to find a way to keep the rhizome emerged, but with my setup so far I don't think I can attach it to anything.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:24 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've kept mine in sand, but only bury the roots, Not the rhizome, and I put a few 'river stones' from a craft store under/around them to keep the sand from drifting onto them. They grew really well
Old 01-03-2018, 06:49 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I totally ruined a beautiful anubias nana by planting it in the substrate, you can attach them to anything, driftwood, rocks, decor, anything
Old 01-03-2018, 06:54 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Alrighty so my anubias ALREADY has started rotting and it has been less than a week. Is there a cure? One of my anubias has it less worse because the rhizome was emerged for the most part. My other one has almost a completely brown rhizome, if I cut pieces off it would most likely end up with only one stem remaining.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:49 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Okay I tied the anubias to rocks with some thread. Hopefully they can recover. I also bought 2 anacharis bundles today! They are real nice and work definitely grow out in no time! My dwarf baby tears aren't doing the best. The leaves are beginning to brown even though a supplied flourish root tabs. If it ends up dying, I'll get some other kind of carpeting plant. Any suggestions? (As mentioned I have root tabs. I also have a sand substrate about an inch and a half deep.)

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com