Filter Broke, help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KuhliCray

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay, today I discovered that my filter in my 10g wasn’t working at all! There is no waterfall, no hum, nothing! I have NO idea how long it’s been like this, and I don’t know what to do! Please help!! (I’m only seeing 5 tetras, used to be 6. The snail is alive and well and everyone looks stress free and healthy, so it was probably recently broken.)

Assuming you're sure you have power at the outlet that the filter is plugged into, the obvious solution is go get a new filter. Sorry, I'm not trying to be a smart azz. I'm just not sure what else you can do.

I keep a spare filter on hand just in case. Granted, it's an inexpensive HOB filter and I wouldn't be able to do that if I used something better or more complex but that's what I do. The complete filter cost less than keeping spare parts on hand.

Okay, today I discovered that my filter in my 10g wasn’t working at all! There is no waterfall, no hum, nothing! I have NO idea how long it’s been like this, and I don’t know what to do! Please help!! (I’m only seeing 5 tetras, used to be 6. The snail is alive and well and everyone looks stress free and healthy, so it was probably recently broken.)
What type of filter, if you have sand substrate it might of gotten into the impeller and bound it up

Get an air stone going. Stores are open tomorrow. If it’s only a 10 gallon then get a new one, obviously won’t be much money

I managed to fix it, thank you all! The filter was clogged, so I replaced the cartridge. And rinsed it out.

I'm gonna hijack my own thread because I don't want to spam multiple threads. The problem I'm having is unrelated and I'm just double checking. Is this calcium deficiency, or are newly bought anubias supposed to be wavy?IMG_0636.jpg

Also keep in mind that the plants from petsmart in tubes need time to reacclimate to submersed conditions as opposed to immersed. Give it a couple of weeks as anubias are slow growers under the best conditions.

Did you put it onto a DW or rock? They do not want to be planted! They can die.

Oh, I planted them... I saw people do it before, so I assumed I would be okay. I don't have a driftwood piece to put it on, the one I have is already taken by a java fern. What do I do? Is there a way to plant them so they stay healthy?

From the top is the leaf, then stem, then brown thick stem like part called the rhizome, then little roots.

Only the little dangling root parts can be in the substrate or the rhizome can rot. It can sit on the top of the surface.

The most simple way to deal with it is to tie it on a stone. It will grow over the stone and likely root onto the substrate, but that will keep the rhizome above to keep it from getting buried/rotting. You can use a chunk of wood too.

Also you can get a chunk of Mopani wood at Petco for maybe $6-7 for a "small" size in the reptile section, about 8.99 for the "medium" if there is limited selection in the fish section.

Last edited:
Don't plant anubias in the substrate it causes rhizome rot, I just lost my nana to it I tried to save it but it was too far gone, tie it loosely to apiece of driftwood (tight but not too tight) with black nylon string or fishing line, same with rock but might need glued which I don't know what's safe to use, after a while the roots will grow into the wood or rock and you just cut the string and remove it.

I'll try to find a way to keep the rhizome emerged, but with my setup so far I don't think I can attach it to anything.

I've kept mine in sand, but only bury the roots, Not the rhizome, and I put a few 'river stones' from a craft store under/around them to keep the sand from drifting onto them. They grew really well

I totally ruined a beautiful anubias nana by planting it in the substrate, you can attach them to anything, driftwood, rocks, decor, anything

Alrighty so my anubias ALREADY has started rotting and it has been less than a week. Is there a cure? One of my anubias has it less worse because the rhizome was emerged for the most part. My other one has almost a completely brown rhizome, if I cut pieces off it would most likely end up with only one stem remaining.

Okay I tied the anubias to rocks with some thread. Hopefully they can recover. I also bought 2 anacharis bundles today! They are real nice and work definitely grow out in no time! My dwarf baby tears aren't doing the best. The leaves are beginning to brown even though a supplied flourish root tabs. If it ends up dying, I'll get some other kind of carpeting plant. Any suggestions? (As mentioned I have root tabs. I also have a sand substrate about an inch and a half deep.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom