Filter cartridge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
Took mine out 5 days ago when i started treating with meds for ich. I just put it in an empty bucket and will rinse it out with tank water and put it back in tomorrow. I have been just letter the filter run for aeration without the cartridge. Is it bad i just put the cartridge in a bucket? What should i do?

You mean the carbon cartridge or actual filter media like a filter pad? I think it's OK to leave it out as long as it stays wet to keep any bacteria on it viable. Ich can be treated easily with just heat and salt without the need for meds though. If you took out all of the filter media....I'm not sure on that, really. You've removed most of your beneficial bacteria that way and it's likely the toxins in the tank (the ammonia from fish waste) could build up.

librarygirl said:
You mean the carbon cartridge or actual filter media like a filter pad? I think it's OK to leave it out as long as it stays wet to keep any bacteria on it viable. Ich can be treated easily with just heat and salt without the need for meds though. If you took out all of the filter media....I'm not sure on that, really. You've removed most of your beneficial bacteria that way and it's likely the toxins in the tank (the ammonia from fish waste) could build up.

I took out the carbon cartridge, and i have a thread abt this. Some of my fish cant withstand the heat and my plants the salt

Back
Top Bottom