filter cartridge bags

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nitrous

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Smaller tanks can use powerfilters/HOB's, but you need to avoid biowheels. These agitate the water quite a bit, outgassing a ton of CO2. If you're budget only allows a power filter, don't fret...just keep the tank water level high to minimize the 'waterfall effect' of the water return. I've found AquaClear brand HOB's to be the best: partially for their easy-to-customize filter media, and because they don't use those carbon filted, filter-floss wrapped cartridges. (carbon only lasts 7 days, and isn't necessary or desirable in the planted tank)

what does carbon do bad for a planted tank maybe that is why my plants have some resodue of brown on them or am i wrong?

The carbon removes some organic compounds from the water that the plants need. It is kind of debatable if it makes that big a difference and its only good for a week anyway.

The brown sounds like diatoms does it wipe off easily in a dust like cloud?

Yes the AC is spent. It does have a lot of surface area for bacteria growth. Just dont replace it the next time you change media, just use sponges.

Back
Top Bottom