Filter cartridge turning green with algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
In my 2.5 gallon tank my filter cartridge is caked with algae. I replace them monthly but this is ridiculous. Within a week the entire cartridge is dark green.

I've replaced it 2x in maybe the last month. Does algae harm your water quality if its literally living IN your filter cartridge? I have an Aqueon 1 gallon filter in my 2.5 gallon

Also is there any way I can put the algae into good use? I heard fry like eating algae. Maybe I can put the whole cartridge in my main tank so my ghost shrimp and my mystery snail can eat the algae off it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bobjoefredsky said:
Also is there any way I can put the algae into good use? I heard fry like eating algae. Maybe I can put the whole cartridge in my main tank so my ghost shrimp and my mystery snail can eat the algae off it?

My ten gal has an open top internal filter covered in algae
The filter isn't the main one on the tank. It's basically a powerhead with media, so I let it sit low enough in the water that my fry can swim in and eat the algae. It's adorable

emerald76 said:
My ten gal has an open top internal filter covered in algae
The filter isn't the main one on the tank. It's basically a powerhead with media, so I let it sit low enough in the water that my fry can swim in and eat the algae. It's adorable

But could I still use it for food?

Why do you replace them? You are removing all of your good bacteria when you remove the cartridge, I know the packaging says to replace them frequently but there really is no need to.

Does your filter get direct sun?? My filter gets a lot of afternoon sun so I have some algae growth on my media but it's not a concern. Some of the causes for algae can be a concern though. If you are over feeding or your nitrates are higher these will cause more algae growth. I'd look at your water quality and feeding schedule and see if you can improve on this and it should help with algae if light isn't a big culprit

Why do you replace them? You are removing all of your good bacteria when you remove the cartridge, I know the packaging says to replace them frequently but there really is no need to.

Agreed ... replacing your filter pad is probably helping out with Algae growth ... you'll have removed the BB that helps to keep your water parameters stable.

Still, as mentioned, is the filter in direct sunlight? That's alot of Algae on the pad so I'd say there's also a lot of excess nutrients in that water. The good news is your snail seems to be having a field day!(y) I could just picture Amano and or RCS swarming all over that pad:dance:.

No the tank is under my loft bed away from my window, it is very far from sunlight

Back
Top Bottom