Filter Cartridges...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I'm getting a heater online and my dad is forcing me to get those filter pad replacements for my Aqueon QuietFlow 55 on my 40 gallon. I heard its not even necessary to replace them and I'm not willing to spend my money on something I don't need. The tank is about two months old, cycled

I don t have that brand of filter but don t replace them until they fall apart. That s where all the good bacteria live. Just take one out & swish it in tank water ( in a bucket). Would recommend only cleaning one at a time, if there s more than one filter), a week or more apart. Also, do you have a liquid test kit to test for ph, ammonia, nitrites & nitrates?

My dad is being stubborn and he refuses to accept the fact that he is actually wrong and he still disagrees with the answer. As you said, replacing cartridges only gets rid of the beneficial bacteria so theoretically speaking I'd be paying extra cash just to hurt my tank but my dad is being a jerk and I want to prove him wrong

If you go to the second Getting Started thread under Freshwater on this site, click on the Stickies tab, there are several articles that will substantiate this info. Good luck with your tank, you should be fine if you use the info here. There are a lot of knowledgable & helpful people. Do you have a test kit?

If you go to the second Getting Started thread under Freshwater on this site, click on the Stickies tab, there are several articles that will substantiate this info. Good luck with your tank, you should be fine if you use the info here. There are a lot of knowledgable & helpful people. Do you have a test kit?

Yeah I have a test kit and thanks

Back
Top Bottom