Filter cartridges

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieKlein

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 37 gallon tank with a bio wheel filter. Long story short. It's been 6 months and no cartrage cha he. I noticed to day at feeding the wheel wasn't spinning fast at all. I lifted the cartrage a bit and boom. It went, along with a swirling one of gunk in to the tank. What do i need to do to get the filter back to normal? Get a new cartrage? What about the he official bacteria in it?

It's not the cartridge, you need to clean the impeller and the intake tube, if that doesn't work, replace ONE of the carter fifes at inter cald slowly so the BB has time to repopulate and adapt. Also, I suggest ordering media baskets so you can customize your cartridge.

At least every other month if not monthly it is a good idea to swish your filter cartridge in a bucket of old tank water. It's also a good idea to clean out the impeller at the same time. The only time you need to change to a new filter is when your old one is literally falling apart.

So i should just take a bucket of tank water and move the cartrage around in it? Then clean the tube? Do I dump the bucket in the tank after?

So i should just take a bucket of tank water and move the cartrage around in it? Then clean the tube? Do I dump the bucket in the tank after?

Yep. I just do it during a water change. The stuff that will come off the filter cartridge will be horrifying black sludge and you wont want to put it anywhere near your tank :) Just toss it out or use it as a garden fertilizer

Okay will do! How exactly do i clean the intake tube?

You should easily be able to remove the tubes that connect to the main operating structure of your filter. Then just take those tube's, run it through some water(hot water if there's too much smudge). Just refrain from using soap or any chemicals. I do it every 2 weeks or so, because it can accumulate fast and make my impellers work harder, and it also restrict's the flow, so less filtration.

Try a piece of fishing line or something strong enough and use a small piece of sponge. I have a small brush from petsmart I use to clean my AC filters and I'm able to bend it.

I removed the filter cartrage and rinsed it in tank water. I also cleaned the intake tube. However the wheel stopped turning it when i put the cartrage back in. Should I buy a new cartrage?

I got a new cartrage so now i have the old one and new one in there. How long should i wait to take the old one out, I don't wanna kill he bb

Back
Top Bottom