Filter Change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DavidK

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank has been in service since January, cycled and stocked several weeks ago (don't recall the exact date now). I'm doing weekly water tests and water changes at which time I rince out my filter cartridge in the water I remove.

My tank is starting to look slightly cloudy and I suspect that I perhaps just need to change my filter. My concern is I have read here that the filter is where most of your bacteria is that maintains the tank.

So, any advise on whether I really do need to change the filter and if so what's the best way to do that to preserve the balance of the tank?

I have a TopFin OTB filter that has a slide in filter cartridge.

Hi. I'm no expert (by far not !) but wanted to ask a few basic questions so that when others more knowledgable respond they have more info to work with.
Is there a "frame" inside the filter cartridge, so that what you're really replacing is just the fliter material ? Is there another little pad of stuff inside the filter compartment also?
They might also want to know about your substrate (sand or gravel) and decorations since there are beneficially bacteria in and on them also.

If you tank has been running since January you should have planty of bacteria built up in your gravel etc. You should be able to change the filter cartridge without a problem. Do a water test for a couple days afterwards to be sure you don't get any spikes, but I can't imagine you will have a problem.

HOB filter (single catridge)

David I remember asking this very same question for the very same reason.

To answer your question....Rinse the new one and just swap it out.No worries.
I had the exact same situation and didn't notice a blip in the test results....and I was testing a lot to be sure.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom