Filter change - how often?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sciencegirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 10g with a plain hob filter (no biowheel). The cartridge is a fuzzy thing with carbon in it. It is getting horribly dirty, but I'm afraid to change it because I don't want to lose my bacteria. I've been periodically swishing it in the dirty tank water when I do a pwc to get rid of bits, but is it enough?
Thanks! :)

When you change to a new filter cut out the filter media on the old and place it behind the new filter. this way your bacteria will still be there and start growing on your new filter. After changing a new filter feed alittle less for a few days because you will lose some bacteria. Try not to vaccum thoroughly and change the filter at the same time as this could cause a mini cycle.

Another thing you can do is to let the new filter cartridge sit in the tank for about a month. This way, it will have some good bacteria on it when you put in in the filter. There is also usually enough bacteria on the gravel, decorations, and in the filter itself to prevent much of a cycle.
its probably good to change the cartridge about every 3-4 months.

i keep gold fish that are dirty little guys and i run a double filter and i change one side at a time and i change it every two months (rinse them of sometimes as well if the flow changes on my filter)

I never use the carbon cartridges unless I am trying to remove meds from my tank. In place of those cartridges I have 2 sponges in all my filters that are easily rinsed and put back. I put 2 just in case I need to set up a new tank or emergency tank.

Those carbon cartridges become inactive after 7 days anyways. Save your money and just rinse them. If it gets too clogged and rinsing doesn't work, then replace.

Remember, marineland has a vested interest in your support of carbon use. Carbon does have its place, but it doesn't really remain effective for 2-3 weeks or a month. 2-3 weeks may be more accurate if you purchase high quality GAC, but the stuff that comes prepackages is usually crap. Even most medication inserts will tell you not to bother with removing carbon from filter if its more than a week old.

I personally do not use carbon, I don't need it. Carbon has ties with HITH, and since I originally wanted Oscars, I didn't want to risk it.

Carbon DOES provide lots of biofiltration surface area though.

As mentioned above, when changing the filter media, cut out a portion of the "wooly" part and stick it behind the new filter to "seed" it for a week. I'm on the same filter pads (just washed) for about 8 months now. So you don't NEED to change them that often. When you rinse, and replace - and the water flows over the intake tube anyhow...that's when its time for a new cartridge.

think about considering a new filter, with a biowheel (mini). Then, the filter pad change will be a moot point! :)

We have the same filter pad in a 20 gal tank for two years 8O We just rinse and reuse. I did notice last night that it is starting to fall apart and it is time to look for a replacement :roll:

dag nabbit me thinks me might have a problem now my pad gets clogged every four days I used to rinse it every couple of days but I have given up now I rinse it once every 2 weeks and not worry about the flowage by the tube it still goes through the pad with the same flow rate visualy as after I rinse do I have a problem

hole in the head disease, look for my post here http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=40023[/url]

Back
Top Bottom