Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2003, 10:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to chriznat20@msn. Send a message via MSN to chriznat20@msn. Send a message via Yahoo to chriznat20@msn.
Filter changing times?

It just occurred to me that maybe the reason my tank is taking so long to cycle (going on 1 1/2 months) - 55 gallon, freshwater with 2 whisper 30 power filters, is maybe because i should change the "bio-bags"??
As you know from my other posts on this site my nitrites are very high 5.0+ ppm, and my ammonia is 0.0
Ive heard to only change one at a time, and to do it a week apart, but they arent very dirty at all any my water flow is still excellent. The water level in the filter box itself is about the same as the day i plugged it in... now heres my major question.. does the carbon in the bio bags lose its "effectiveness" after so long? I mean, should I change them even if they dont look dirty? Does the carbon or floss bag its in help remove nitrites, ammonia and such? And whats up with that bio foam stuff? Ive heard to rinse that out with aquarium water? it is cleaner than the bio bags LOL Help is appreciated, im not desperate but need some soothing, thanks!!!

Old 03-30-2003, 08:11 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I don't let my filters go that long typically before changing them. You open up the possibility for decaying matter being left in your filter. I change them every 3 weeks regularly.

Order new ones online and you will save a ton of cash. I use http://www.foryourfish.com/

Tags
changing, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com