Filter changing times?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chriznat20@msn.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It just occurred to me that maybe the reason my tank is taking so long to cycle (going on 1 1/2 months) - 55 gallon, freshwater with 2 whisper 30 power filters, is maybe because i should change the "bio-bags"??
As you know from my other posts on this site :D my nitrites are very high 5.0+ ppm, and my ammonia is 0.0
Ive heard to only change one at a time, and to do it a week apart, but they arent very dirty at all any my water flow is still excellent. The water level in the filter box itself is about the same as the day i plugged it in... now heres my major question.. does the carbon in the bio bags lose its "effectiveness" after so long? I mean, should I change them even if they dont look dirty? Does the carbon or floss bag its in help remove nitrites, ammonia and such? And whats up with that bio foam stuff? Ive heard to rinse that out with aquarium water? it is cleaner than the bio bags LOL Help is appreciated, im not desperate but need some soothing, thanks!!!
:wink:

I don't let my filters go that long typically before changing them. You open up the possibility for decaying matter being left in your filter. I change them every 3 weeks regularly.

Order new ones online and you will save a ton of cash. I use http://www.foryourfish.com/

Back
Top Bottom