filter cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stephmc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Aquaclear filter is not filtering like it used to. It is only 4 months old so I don't know what could be wrong. I have cleaned everything but the sponges and it still is not working that well. Should I try cleaning out the sponges? If so, how do I do that?

You should rinse the sponge out everytime you change the water. I just rinse the sponge in some of the water I removed from the tank. It gets pretty clogged with gunk and will make a big difference.

Yes, the sponge and the carbon bag should be cleaned every 2 weeks either in the water you remove from the aquarium during water changes or dechlorinate some water in a container and clean them in that water.

Keep in mind the sponges are full of little holes which trap debris. Once those spaces are filled, it can't trap debris anymore. Just as tkos and i3k suggested, cleaning the sponge with treated tapwater or tank water (just squeeze it in the water a couple of times) will remove some of the debris clogging it.

Back
Top Bottom