Filter cleanup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WBAC88

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 65g planted tank and recently the HOB aquaclear filter seems to be having to be having trouble doing its job and the water never seems to be as clear as it used to. I have heard a lot of different things regarding cleaning filters, and it seems the consensus is that rinsing the sponge in leftover water from PWCs, but how often should I do that? Tonight the plastic piece that holds the cartridges was coming out, so I was fiddling around with it and suddenly it released a cloud of what I assume was waste back out into the tank. Time to clean it? It's not falling apart yet, so it's not time for a replacement, but I've accidentally started a mini cycle before by cleaning it too well, so I don't want to do that again, either. What are people's thoughts on this kind of thing? Thanks.

I have had my 37 gallon tank running for about one year now and I have only used two filters. I have had only one fish die in that time and I think it was from old age. I just rinse the filter in the sink using tap water. I rub my fingers back and forth in the stream of water to clean it. I have never done a water change in my tank either. I add about a gallon of new water a month due to evaporation. I have 6 zebra danios, 6 neon headlight tetras, and 3 catfish. I only clean the front and sides of the glass of algae and leave the algae to grow on the back and on the silk plants. I dont know if this helps with getting rid of the nitates, but it seems to and my fish seem happy. I think I get away with this because my tank is not over crowded and I dont over feed my fish.

I've done this many a time and I think it's due to feeding and bioload. I cut back on feedings, and I wash the sponge through every second water change. I give my hob a good clean roughly once a month, to get rid of any lingering nasties or algae to make it look clean and nice again. The sponges I just swish around and squeeze them a couple of times, I never make them fully clean as I'm paranoid of starting a mini cycle, I just wash them through more often. As long as you don't let them dry out or dry them too much by squeezing them, the bb should be fine, keep them wet and a little dirty and IMO they will work perfect.

Alright, thanks guys! I let the filter continue to run, and it cleared up the water pretty quickly. I'll just have to be sure to be better about cleaning the media in a way that won't kill all the BB or release a cloud of waste into my tank. It was nasty, so I'm going to try to not let that happen again if I can help it.

WBAC88 said:
Alright, thanks guys! I let the filter continue to run, and it cleared up the water pretty quickly. I'll just have to be sure to be better about cleaning the media in a way that won't kill all the BB or release a cloud of waste into my tank. It was nasty, so I'm going to try to not let that happen again if I can help it.

Unless you have chlorine free water don't rinse the filter in the tap water. It will kill the BB. Just reserve a little tank water in a bucket to be safe. :). I'm glad your tank cleared up!

Bearchumjs said:
Unless you have chlorine free water don't rinse the filter in the tap water. It will kill the BB. Just reserve a little tank water in a bucket to be safe. :). I'm glad your tank cleared up!

Yeah, that's what started my mini cycle the last time I'm pretty sure, so I won't be doing that again. I use a siphon to do my PWCs, though, so I have to make sure that I pour some of the tank water into a bucket to rinse it out in, otherwise it just all goes down the drain. Thanks!

Believe it or not that cloud of "waste" as you said also probably had a pile of bb in it. IME you can clean a filter cartridge thoroughly with tank water and still not start a mini cycle. BB is everywhere in your aquarium and its almost impossible to clean filter media with "safe" water and destroy all of the bacteria within it.

Cichlid Kid said:
Believe it or not that cloud of "waste" as you said also probably had a pile of bb in it. IME you can clean a filter cartridge thoroughly with tank water and still not start a mini cycle. BB is everywhere in your aquarium and its almost impossible to clean filter media with "safe" water and destroy all of the bacteria within it.

That's what I just said. That cloud of waste might have BB in it, but it's unsightly and not necessarily healthy to have floating around my tank. I'd rather have it in the filter where it belongs, hence why I just said I would rinse my sponge out in tank water *not* tap water.

Back
Top Bottom