Filter Could Kill Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Curious1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When I came home from work last night my new Marineland Canister Filter had lost its prime and wasn't working. I pushed the self prime button numerous times but it would not prime. Then mysteriously out of the blue a couple of hours later after I had given up as mysteriously as it lost its prime it reprimed with me doing nothing. It makes me nervous that this filter could lose its prime. I'm leaving in a couple of weeks for a vacation and if it were to lose its prime while I was gone and nobody was there to reprime it I may come back to a tank of dead fish. Does anyone know what would cause this filter to lose its prime and why when I attempted to reprime it nothing would happen? I had only had it hooked up for two days after this happened. Thanks

Are you sure it lost its prime, or did it stop pumping? It can stop pumping without losing its prime, if that is the case, there is most likely something wrong with the motor.

What type of Marineland canister do you have?

Did you lose power? I have the Marineland C-360 and have never had this issue. I'm guessing that if it stopped working you either have an electrical problem or the filter is defective. Did you try using a different outlet?

Seems odd that the filter could lose its prime after being primed once and plugged in.

if it did indeed lose its prime, you need to check all the gaskets and hoses and make sure air isnt coming in somewhere... chances are that if its working now, its probably something more mechanical or electrical though... could you hear the motor running? if it was running, it would have been the most annoying wierd rattling noise in the world ( at least my fluvals make that noise lol)

one of many reasons i warn people against these filters.
stay away from anything branded marineland/ tetratec. they are not worth the hastle or the money. you can get an eheim classic for relatively cheap, and they are great workhorse filters. or look into a fluval or rena canister.

100% person opinion there. i know people using magnums for 10+ years. i have heard nothing but rave reviews on the newer c series. i own a handful of hot mags used them for years with out any problems. everyone is going to have their personal opinions of filters. i traded in my fluval which broke non stop for a xp3 and never looked back. ill never own a fluval but many people love them.

eheim the only sure way to go have six 2217 on tanks 20 yrs plus never a problem always reliable!!!

eheim the only sure way to go have six 2217 on tanks 20 yrs plus never a problem always reliable!!!
I've got 1 2215 for 16 years (never had to replace a part on it) an a monster 2080 only 4 months old.

i also think that the length in which a filter will last, much like anything else, will be determined by how well it is taken care of. a high priced, name brand filter that is never cleaned imo wouldnt last nearly as long as a cheap, no-named filter that is regularly maintained...

Back
Top Bottom