Filter Current and my Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sweets1023

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got a young Betta fish last night for my ten gallon tank that finished cycling a week or two ago. Its just him in the tank and he seems happy, healthy and active. The tank has a bunch of silk plants and a small cave like structure for him. :)

I currently have a Whisper 5-15 HOB power filter running for it. Its a filter that came with the tank when I got it about a year ago. The filter still runs fine, and quiet as can be, doesn't lock up or anything, but I'm worried about the current it makes. I've had other fish in the past, but I have never had a Betta, and I know that too strong of a current isn't good for a Betta. When I first put him in he was swimming around a while and exploring, and made his way into the flow of the filter and got pushed across the tank. This worried me so I rigged the filter with a small plastic plate right under the the output to lessen the power of the flow. :confused:

Could anyone give me some advice on this current with my betta? I would rather not have to buy a new filter but I will if it really comes down to it. It would be GREAT if I could get some other suggestions on how to minimize the flow other than this horrid looking plastic plate (LOL).:)

Heres a picture of it:
(I know the blue and black gravel is a little much and sorta ugly, I would have prefered all black, or natural, but I let my fiance pick it out)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/naturenut1023/3713204967/

The plastic plate is one way to minimize the current ... several people here had done that.

If you don't like the look, you might try putting a sponge on (in) the filter intake strainer. That will restrict the flow. Disadvantage of this is it will make the pump work harder & might wear it out pre-maturely. Also, the sponge will get clogged so you need to clean it at least weekly. You could use a big sponge outside the filler tube to minimize both concerns, in effect converting your HOB to a sponge filter. But then, the big sponge won't look too nice either!

Another way is to break up the current at the surface. If you have some tall plants reaching to the top of the water near the outflow, that might break up the flow enough to create a calm spot, and should look better.

If your HOB's outflow is direct-able, you might want to direct it diagonally across the back, or perhaps rig up some kind of spray bar to break up the current. <I am not sure if that is any less ugly than your plastic deflector.>

I have a plastic plate all rigged up to the outflow part with tape.. is there a better way to do it? Maybe that would look nicer.

Would floating plants work as well as the tall plants? the ones you suction cup to the wall of the tank?

Back
Top Bottom