Filter died...need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

littlebitlarisa

Aquarium Advice Regular
Came home and my filter was off. Unplugged and replugged and I am getting nothing. It seems like it just ran dry and burned up. :(

I moved my penguin 350 from my 29 gallon over to it and took the filter from the 15 and put it on the 46 as its empty. I swapped media around so the media was pretty much the same.

My LFS is closed tomorrow so I cannot replace it then. Friday will be crazy so I am not sure how that will go either.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a filter for the 46? It came with a emperor 400 but I had nothing but trouble keeping it running and it eventually failed.

Preferable something under $100 that will run well and be quiet as the tank is in a bedroom.

:thanks:

From what I hear, an Aquaclear 70 would be a good choice.

I run marineland power filters myself and havent had a problem with them restarting or repriming. I unplug my Emperor 280 during feed time and leave it unplugged for 5-10 minutes. When I plug it back in, it gurgles for about 10 seconds and it starts running on its own.

If you are looking for quietest, a canister would be the absolute best but you are going to pay $$$ for it. If you want a good balance, the Aquaclear will come highly recommended for quietness and effectiveness. And they arent hard on the pocketbook either (you can get it on amazon.com for $35).

Definitely a canister filter. There are some cheap ones on ebay, different knockoff brands like sunsun and perfect canisters. I have no experience with them but have seen great reviews.

We are about to test out some of the new API Nexx filters, they look promising, rated for up to 55g and are under $100 new.

IMO the aqua clear 70 is good, I also have had good luck with all my Marineland filters as well as Aqueon filters too if your looking for HOB I think those I listed are all pretty reliable and efficient. As far as noise I don't really notice any of my HOB's being any quieter than the others. You could go for a canister filter but I believe they tend to be a little more expensive and I think for a 46 gal HOB filter would definitely be sufficient. I myself prefer HOB over Canister filters because I like the surface agitation and the trickle sound myself without having to have a power head. I had a canister filter but there was always a film on the top of the water so I got rid of it. I think it's just a matter of opinion though! :)

AquaClear 110. Usually between $50-$60 on amazon, but overpriced in shops.

I think I would prefer a hob. The aquaclear 110 looks like it will be good. I am surfing the web for black friday deals.

I have only had the emperor filter a week or so(bought used with a tank) I also have a penguin 350 on another tank and haven't had any issues with it restarting. But the emperor would just loose suction and run dry. :facepalm:

So the aquaclear would be better than the penguin 350?

Have you pulled the impeller out of the emperor? I'd pull it out and clean it real good, along with the place it sits in, then jam a pipe cleaner up the tube, fire it up and see if it works again.

Those things get real funked up and if left too long will clog and jam the impeller.

Yeah I have cleaned and cleaned it. It was like the tube that goes down into the tank did not seat over the impeller correctly. It would pop off and the filter would run dry. I came home and the moter wouldn't even make a noise.

Anyone used a fluval c4 power filter?

littlebitlarisa said:
I think I would prefer a hob. The aquaclear 110 looks like it will be good. I am surfing the web for black friday deals.

I have only had the emperor filter a week or so(bought used with a tank) I also have a penguin 350 on another tank and haven't had any issues with it restarting. But the emperor would just loose suction and run dry. :facepalm:

So the aquaclear would be better than the penguin 350?

I think if you wait until Monday or aka cyber Monday you may find better deals online! Just an FYI :)

Thank you! I am still looking. I went to petco, petsmart, and wet pets today and didn't find them as cheap as I had online. I will wait until Monday to order. On a side now I got a beautiful angel fish today! I will have to take a pic once he/she gets fully settled in.

Thank you for the tips. Any online suggestions? Amazon is what I have found to be the cheapest so far.

littlebitlarisa said:
Thank you for the tips. Any online suggestions? Amazon is what I have found to be the cheapest so far.

Not sure how well it works but amazon has a aquatop 350gph canister filter with built in UV steralizer for $80. Got good reviews too. I'm considering getting one.

nextgeneration40 said:
Ive found its hard to beat Amazon.

I agree most of the time but you have to be careful I ordered a heater for one of my tanks not too long ago from them and it was in really old packaging and never worked but of course I was able to send it back and get another one was just a hassle!! :)

iheartmyed9 said:
Not sure how well it works but amazon has a aquatop 350gph canister filter with built in UV steralizer for $80. Got good reviews too. I'm considering getting one.

Do you know If it
Comes with a spray bar??

Sharkbait54 said:
Do you know If it
Comes with a spray bar??

I didn't see one in the photos but it might. Let me know if you decide to get it. Its got good specs for the price if its as capable as claimed. Its on amazon. Its a aquatop brand. Though they have similiar ones that are different brands but same looking product.

nextgeneration40 said:
AquaClear 110 bar none I have to look at mine to be sure its running :)

I agree! I love them!! I have a 110 on my 65 gal and it does an amazing job. Just make sure u clean the impeller. My Oscar kicks up sand, so from time to time we clean the needle and impeller.

Back
Top Bottom