Filter Dilemma and Solution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Curious1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I think I’ve come up with a solution to my noisy filter problem. After taking advice I’ve received on this forum and that of the helpful person at my pet store I’ve decided to keep the filter I have and put it on a timer to go off at 10:30 pm and on at 6:30 am. I also purchased a pump and air stone wand that goes the length of the aquarium. When the filter goes off the air stone will still be running creating movement at the surface. The pump is virtually silent and the air stone makes no noise. The outside filter kept me awake with the cascading water falling all night. If anyone has any opinions or comments I welcome them. Thanks!

I dunno what your problem is exactly, but if the Hang-on-back filter is making excessive noise when the water runs over the lip, you could raise your water level and eliminate most of that problem. Canisters > HOB next time you set one up imo. :)

this is not a good idea. when you turn off the filter, not only are you removing all the filtration and water movement in the tank, but you severely effect the bacteria in the filter. this could easily lead to problems with your water parameters. especially if its standing for 8 hours.
remember, its not only water movement you need. you actually need the filtration. for those 8 hours, ammonia is building in your tank, with no biological filtration to convert it into nitrates. 8 hours of building ammonia levels can be fatal to your fish

the only way you would hear the waterfall, is if your tank isnt properly filled.
do not turn off your filter. simply fill your tank to the proper level. problem solved.

I wouldnt really be that morbid about it. I lose power when I sneeze and ive never had an issue with any water parameter. Unless the tank is stocked as full as a petstore on shipment day that is.

please do yourself and your fish a favor by reading up on the nitrogen cycle.
the bacteria housed in your media will not survive 8 hours with no food and oxygen for 8 hours. it will begin to die off almost immediately, and will be severely stunted if not completely dead in 8 hours. while there might be trace amounts in the tank itself, it will not be nearly as much as in the filter. ultimately this will lead to a mini cycle, in a best case scenario.

The tank is filled to the brim. Any further and it will be overflowing. My sleep is important and the with the noise level of the cascading water I am not sleeping a wink. So with that said does anyone have a solution if the one I was provided by some other forum members and the pet store "expert" isn't going to work? If not I'm going to have to take the aquarium back. Thanks

I've yet to find a pet store expert... Also I take most forum advice with a grain of salt as there is a LOT of bad information circulating.

Your options.. Move the tank to another room or buy a Canister filter and get rid of your HOB.

As stated before you should not stop using your filter for 8 hours a day. You will have major issues with your beneficial bacteria.

What filter do you have and is it the water noise or the propeller that is making noise?

food for thought. You may want to get one of the plastic party cups (oh come on remember the red and blue cups from high school kegger parties!). Chop the cup in half and place it by the outflow of your filter. It may cut down the noise.

Yes, just extend the outflow from the HOB. Make the 'waterfall' stop just a 1/4" from the water surface. You may also want to refrain from opening more posts about this topic. I think I have tried to answer this question in three different places....

Edit: I would also disagree with the advice of putting the filter on a timer. If it loses prime when the power goes out it will kick on and be running dry, which will kill your filter.

Steve-thanks for your answers and sorry to bother you.

You're not a bother! Just trying to keep things orderly. :) Let us know if that will work for you.

Back
Top Bottom