filter emergency!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phoenixphire55

Aquarium Advice Freak
I unplugged my aquaclear mini to rinse the sponge and when I plugged it back in the intake isn't pulling in water and no water is coming out of the filter front. It feels like the filter is humming but its not working. Any help?

I would probably clean it out real good, might have hard water deposits and make sure it is primed, if it isn't full of water it wont start. I never unplug mine I just slip the filter out and rinse and put it back.

That's good! I have a submersible internal filter on my 10 gallon tank. I unplug it to change the filter floss but I don't even try to plug it back in and get it started until it's fully submersed again after a water change. Otherwise it just vibrates and chugs without moving water. I would imagine it's the same way with an HOB - not the submersible part but like fluffyntex said, if it's not full of water it won't start up.

Happens to mine all the time. I turn them off for water changes and cleaning, prime them and plug them back in. Half the time the impeller sticks, I just push the impeller with a pencil tip and it starts right back up.

Yeah I just took mine apart and cleaned out all the gunk. There certainly was a TON of it and as I was washing it under the tub faucet some of the gunk splashed into my mouth (baaaarf). Lol, well now I know what to do next time.

Yeah I just took mine apart and cleaned out all the gunk. There certainly was a TON of it and as I was washing it under the tub faucet some of the gunk splashed into my mouth (baaaarf). Lol, well now I know what to do next time.
EEEEWWWWWWW!!! Icky!! Icky!!

Note to self - keep mouth closed when handling yucky stuff...

yep, my aquaclear did the same thing. Impellor always got stuck. Just poked it with a pencil and it started back up

Back
Top Bottom