Filter floss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Desastre

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was in my Walmart today and was trying to figure out if this tuff was safe. I couldn't really find anything that said it had chemicals on it.

Attachments

• image-3279232803.jpg
    image-3279232803.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 121
Mr. Limpet said:
That's the stuff to get. Works great in HOB or canister filters.

Really? I would have thought that it's not that great because it's more disposable than filter sponges, filter pads, or pot scrubbers. Considering that one of the main functions of filter media is to grow beneficial bacteria, a disposable media like filter floss doesn't seem like a wise choice.

I'm also wondering how well filter floss will rinse off in old tank water?

Really? I would have thought that it's not that great because it's more disposable than filter sponges, filter pads, or pot scrubbers. Considering that one of the main functions of filter media is to grow beneficial bacteria, a disposable media like filter floss doesn't seem like a wise choice.

Funny .... I thought the same thing when I first read about using poly-fill in canister filters. But then I read from Mr. Limpet a while back that it's best purpose is for that extra mechanical filtration to really polish off the water ... particularly in a canister where you can stuff it in either an entire tray or in an empty chamber.

The way I'm looking at it .. BB responds to Bio-load and most of my BB in my filter's already established in the Biomax.

I also use it in my Fluval 405 thanks to a recommendation from Mr. Limpet. It can work miracles. I change it weekly during my pwc's, so there isn't sufficient time for it to support much of my bio-filter. There's no cost concerns with replacing it weekly because that $4 bag will probably last me a year even with changing it weekly. Just make sure you don't buy a brand which is fire retardant...that type contains chemicals. Natural or fire resistant is fine.

eco23 said:
I also use it in my Fluval 405 thanks to a recommendation from Mr. Limpet. It can work miracles. I change it weekly during my pwc's, so there isn't sufficient time for it to support much of my bio-filter. There's no cost concerns with replacing it weekly because that $4 bag will probably last me a year even with changing it weekly njust make sure you don't buy a brand which is fire retardant...that type contains chemicals. Natural or fire resistant is fine.

Where would u put it? I don't have anymore space but the very bottom of my canister. Would it be efficient to throw some down there or will it clog my filter quickly.

Hubert90 said:
Where would u put it? I don't have anymore space but the very bottom of my canister. Would it be efficient to throw some down there or will it clog my filter quickly.

I keep both sides of my bottom basket filled. It can restrict flow if you cram too much in there, but just enough to catch debris is all you need. I used to keep some in one half of my top basket as well, but I heard some stories of it getting into the impeller somehow, so I figured better safe than sorry and removed it. The bottom tray is where you want it anyway because you want your ceramic media to come into contact with the cleanest water possible.

eco23 said:
I keep both sides of my bottom basket filled. It can restrict flow if you cram too much in there, but just enough to catch debris is all you need. I used to keep some in one half of my top basket as well, but I heard some stories of it getting into the impeller somehow, so I figured better safe than sorry and removed it. The bottom tray is where you want it anyway because you want your ceramic media to come into contact with the cleanest water possible.

Sweet! Saw some the other day! This huge huge bag for about 6 bucks :) weeeeeeee love shoppin when it comes to this hobby :D!

I'm also wondering how well filter floss will rinse off in old tank water?

Sponges only get detritus to a certain micron level, filter pads (ie polishing pads) are the same thing, but a lot more expensive. I'm sure my sponge has bacteria, but I rely on my biomedia to house the bulk of my bacteria and by having poly-fil above the sponge (down stream) and before my biomedia, all the gunk that used to clog my biomedia is now caught by poly-fil.

The minor loss of bacteria when replacing my poly-fil is negligible at best and I never see a bloom or mini cycle. As for rinsing, I rinse it only because I want the nutrients it holds so I can water my garden/flowers with it :D, other than that, I just toss it.

A bag of poly-fil costs $5, a box of polishing pads cost the same to twice that much and the bag of poly-fil will last me a year using it in all 4 of my tanks filters (nano to canister). I figure that at the same replacement rate, I'm saving 2-300.00 a year minimum.

Mr. Limpet said:
Sponges only get detritus to a certain micron level, filter pads (ie polishing pads) are the same thing, but a lot more expensive. I'm sure my sponge has bacteria, but I rely on my biomedia to house the bulk of my bacteria and by having poly-fil above the sponge (down stream) and before my biomedia, all the gunk that used to clog my biomedia is now caught by poly-fil.

The minor loss of bacteria when replacing my poly-fil is negligible at best and I never see a bloom or mini cycle. As for rinsing, I rinse it only because I want the nutrients it holds so I can water my garden/flowers with it :D, other than that, I just toss it.

A bag of poly-fil costs $5, a box of polishing pads cost the same to twice that much and the bag of poly-fil will last me a year using it in all 4 of my tanks filters (nano to canister). I figure that at the same replacement rate, I'm saving 2-300.00 a year minimum.

OMG! Yes! Everytime I do pwc or cleaned out my filter! I alway use the water to water my garden! :D

+1 with what Mr. Limpet and Eco23 have said. In just a few days I've had it in my fluval ... my water is definitely visually clearer. I'm glad I took their advice .. nearly made the mistake of buying the polishing pads.

I stuffed my bottom tray and my water flow's the same and I can tell I'll have more than enough to last months.

+1 with what Mr. Limpet and Eco23 have said. In just a few days I've had it in my fluval ... my water is definitely visually clearer. I'm glad I took their advice .. nearly made the mistake of buying the polishing pads.

I stuffed my bottom tray and my water flow's the same and I can tell I'll have more than enough to last months.

You can give all the credit to Mr. Limpet on this one. I didn't even know about it until he mentioned it to me. It definitely works fantastically though. You'll be shocked how much junk that stuff catches and how nasty it is after only a week.

You can give all the credit to Mr. Limpet on this one. I didn't even know about it until he mentioned it to me. It definitely works fantastically though. You'll be shocked how much junk that stuff catches and how nasty it is after only a week.

I was going to wait a few weeks .. but guess come this Sunday I'll know just how much gunk would've been floating in the water:facepalm:

oh .. AND Thanks! Mr. Limpet(y)

Glad to help :D.

I replace my poly-fil every time I service any one of my filters, which is once a week for the nano and HOB's and every 2 weeks for my 305 can. My theory is, if you keep it rotating out of your filter on a regular basis, there's little to no chance of bacteria building up so high in it that a bloom/mini cycle might occur. So far for my 4 tanks, my theory is working out as planned. Keeping with this schedule on 6 filters over the last 2+ months, my bag-o-poly is still stuffed to the gills (pun intended lol).

Glad to help :D.

I replace my poly-fil every time I service any one of my filters, which is once a week for the nano and HOB's and every 2 weeks for my 305 can. My theory is, if you keep it rotating out of your filter on a regular basis, there's little to no chance of bacteria building up so high in it that a bloom/mini cycle might occur. So far for my 4 tanks, my theory is working out as planned. Keeping with this schedule on 6 filters over the last 2+ months, my bag-o-poly is still stuffed to the gills (pun intended lol).

Every two weeks sounds good to me ... but for this first batch I did, I'm curious to see what it'll look like after one week. If it looks real bad, I'll change it and then go two weeks.

Besides, as clear as my water looks now compared to Saturday ... I'm wagering it caught a lot of gunk! ... not to mention what I stirred up last night when I lifted the fake slate cave (a slice of cucumber got stuck under there) is sure to make it's way to the poly-fill. And I just vacuumed under there a couple of weeks ago:facepalm: Guess the veggies really do work!

Back
Top Bottom