Filter Floss: Before or After the Bio-Media??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always put mechanical media before bio, it helps keep the bio media cleaner.

A common/popular way to set up a canister is to do coarse mechanical (foam) then medium mechanical (floss) then chem & bio (or bio & chem) and then a fine filter pad (water polishing) at the very end.

A common/popular way to set up a canister is to do coarse mechanical (foam) then medium mechanical (floss) then chem & bio (or bio & chem) and then a fine filter pad (water polishing) at the very end.

when you say chem are you talking about carbon? the rest of it makes sense lol

when you say chem are you talking about carbon? the rest of it makes sense lol

Yeah. Carbon, purigen, sea-gel, chemi-pure, ammonia absorbers, phosphate absorbers, ion exchangers, the list goes on. most chemical filtration you don't/or won't ever need. But if you have a problem, there's most likely a chemical filtration medium that will help you out.

May I add a question to this? In a canister filter, does the water move from the bottom up or from the top down? If I want my bio-media last, does it go on the top tray or the bottom tray? I suddenly realized I'd always assumed it went on the bottom.

Yeah I realized I was doing it backwards (sponge on bottom, then floss, then bio) so I will switch my sponge and floss in all 4 filters....thanks to the OP for starting this thread

May I add a question to this? In a canister filter, does the water move from the bottom up or from the top down? If I want my bio-media last, does it go on the top tray or the bottom tray? I suddenly realized I'd always assumed it went on the bottom.

It depends on the type of canister filter. They all work on the same principle, but not the same way. There are even some that have chambers that you can add on. Look up the type you have online and you should find out the specifics for your filter.

Back
Top Bottom