Filter Floss Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I think I am still a little confused about Filter Floss. From what I have seen most people here use filter floss instead of activated carbon.

What size filter floss is the best to get?

Anybody get this online?

And, if I take out the carbon, I can use the foam, filter floss, and bio balls together?

And, I know carbon needs to be changed weekly, so how long does filter floss last? Does it help to keep the water clear? I have to admit that my water is only crystal clear for a week or two if I don't replace the carbon.

Thanks

Filter floss is filter floss. They are all the same. It's used for further polishing of the water. You don't need to replace it every time you do maintenance, just rinse out in old tank water and put back in. Yes, it does pretty good at polishing the water. And I never use carbon, other than to remove meds if I use them. Yes, it's good to have it on hand, but not necessary to use til you need to remove meds, etc.

I never use carbon in the tanks. If we ever have to treat with meds, that is the only time it would be used. I replace it everytime I do filter maintenance (about once a month). I think it is just a personal preference. Mine is not full of gunk, but it doesn't hurt to change it. I use filter floss from Wal-mart (AKA Batting). It's a heck of a lot cheaper.

I don't even bother with carbon anymore, I bought a pack of filter floss today 312 square inches of blue bondedp ad for $ 7.94, what do you guys usually pay?

$3 for a big bag. I don't know, maybe the size of a pillow. I've been on the same bag for about a year or so.

Back
Top Bottom