Filter help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone got a cheap power filter for a 20gallon tank to recommend? Something good but that wont go over 40$

Aquaclear 30 or Aqueon quietflow 30

I loved my quiet flows while I had them, great little filters and cheap, at first. If go with an aqua clear, they're cheap to buy and the media is a whole lot cheaper in the long run than cartridge filters

Yea plus you get a nice little pouch of ceramic media for it which has way more area than aqueons little blue screen thing. I do like them both though.

So witch should i get. And how much is the average cost+ full media

Between the two AC all the way. Just slightly more for the filter then half the cost of media. Usually 3 cartridges run around $12 and need replacing often, the ACs coarse sponges are 3 for $6 and all you do is rinse them out in tank water.

I have a Aqua Tech 30-60 had it for years works great and at walmart under $ 40 some people do not like them because they have two filters in them but they will more than handle the job on your 20gal just my opinion.

I might get an AC 50, just to keep my water clean, and i heard you can regulate the flow so thats good.

I might get an AC 50, just to keep my water clean, and i heard you can regulate the flow so thats good.

The regulator is not what you think. Just to give you a heads up. I have 2 AC110's and I can't tell from + to -

Great filters though. I love mine. I actually switched back to them from a canister.

Its not too much for a 20 gallon. Goldfish in a 20 gallon is too much fish however. BTW filtration is based upon how many gallons per hour they can flow. The gallons per hour will in turn tell you how many times per hour it can turn over the complete volume of your tank. You should aim for at least 5x per hour for freshwater. I always try to get around 10x

Its not too much for a 20 gallon. Goldfish in a 20 gallon is too much fish however. BTW filtration is based upon how many gallons per hour they can flow. The gallons per hour will in turn tell you how many times per hour it can turn over the complete volume of your tank. You should aim for at least 5x per hour for freshwater. I always try to get around 10x

+1

Agree as well. The minimum on goldfish tank is 10x the tank size but I run @450gph plus three sponge filters on my 20g quarantine. Lots spare media to use as needed.

Back
Top Bottom