Filter Help - Ammonia smell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

~Shawna~

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I noticed when I rinsed my filter that the media smelled of strong ammonia. Ive not had this problem with any of my other tanks, and even after rinsing, I cant get rid of the smell. Amonia levels are normal, and I do weekly 30 % water changes. The only thing that I can think of is that I dont rinse my media as much as I probably should be doing, as its hard to lift off my heavy hood to get at the HOB filter. Id say the longest ive left it is 2 months. I didn't want to have to replace this one cartrige as its the reusable filter sponge that is supposed to stay in the filter, but I cant get that smell out.

What could be causing this, and should I really just go ahead and replace it?

When you say ammonia levels are normal, what exactly is the ammonia level? If it is not absolutely flat zero then the tank is undergoing a cycle and the media should be left alone, smell or no smell.

If you have absolute zero ammonia in your tank then I am not sure why you are smelling that, but it may be time to replace the media if it does not go away with rinsing. Monitor water levels carefully when you do this.

Back
Top Bottom